Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Aesthetix Atlas power amp. It’s adequately big and back achingly heavy. I now have 20 feckin valves in my system. Summer will be unbearable :sunny:

21 Likes

Looks adequate.:sunglasses:

No feckin chance of you still having that by the summer…:laughing:

5 Likes

Et tu, Brute?

2 Likes

The Aesthetix is to replace the Karan?

Short answer is yes. Long answer is I’ve had the Karan pre/power for over two years and it has been a brilliant but I decided I wanted to return to a valve pre and bought a Calypso. I could have kept the Karan power amp as it is superb thing but thought I should sell the pre/power as a combo. I’m convinced that anyone looking for a SS pre/power will be over the moon with that setup. I had been pondering about going all out Aesthetix for a while when funds allowed so when a Spanish dealer heavily discounted the price on this ex-dem Atlas I jumped. It has been an expensive month but hopefully worth it.

I suspect @Jim might be wrong in his prediction but who knows :smile:

3 Likes

Makes sense (If not financial sense). :laughing:

11 Likes

Opinions?

(other than comments about the absence of valves, or how it would be improved by the addition of a R2R deck)

pretty

Very nice, but struggling with the concept of a £4.5k Richer Sounds amp. I had no idea they were shifting up market like this.

Cue accusations of slurp from everyone’s favourite shit flinging gibbon.

Like the looks a lot. And although it is much more expensive than their mid-range stuff, other companies seem to be doing similar ( Hegel etc ).

Irrespective of how good an amp it is the depreciation will be off the chart.

Far better to buy a nice 2nd hand Pass Labs, Karan, Lavardin, EAR, etc integrated instead.

Sensibly engineered, faff free, hence utterly out of keeping with the forum ethos.

7 Likes

Maybe, but apparently ( someone once told me ) there are folk out there who don’t change their kit every month, and one of these amps will do them for the long term, so removing the need to worry about depreciation.

But I’d still much rather have a 2nd hand top of the range Pass, Karan, Lavardin, McIntosh etc for the same money, both for sound, reliability and pride of ownership.

It reminds me a bit of when Rega brought out the expensive CD and Amp about a decade ago - the build quality and reliability just didn’t justify the price tag.

1 Like

It’s your money, I don’t care.

From the CA website, “‘The Edge A is, as they used to say, pure sex”

Who are they, and did they really used to say that?

1 Like

Not sure the above mentioned brands would definitely be any better for reliability, and very possibly much more expensive to fix.

Cambridge is its own brand & has a pretty extensive international distribution network. I’ve no doubt some of those customers will have been pressing for upmarket products.