Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

One seat or not, I’ve loved all Pete’s systems in that room. The last time I heard the 16a it blew me away. The bass is just fantastic. Is, is perhaps the wrong word, was would be more correct because I have his crossover at the moment! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My set up is definitely near field. You can’t get the out and out bass depth because of the small room size, but the mid and top end sound pretty nice.

Are you/was he, still using the Najda?

Yes we are both still using the Najda. When I say I have his crossover, more specifically I have the board out of his crossover as mine blew up last summer! There has been discussion about me going analogue. I use straight horns so it is easier to physically time align.

1 Like

Yes, just looked at the pic again and can see it. Fascia is the same layout as mine. What distance away were they and what are they now? At Scalford I think I remember they were set up such that they were best at about 6M away?

I’ve just taken this pic.

At Scalford it definitely sounded better sitting as far back as possible but the stands were lower and drivers were further apart. I would probably still prefer to listen to it that way but need the space where the speakers were. I’m so lucky to have an understanding partner, she actually thinks what we have done here is pretty cool!

22 Likes

Most definitely. That pic shows how awesome it looks.

It actually looks quite cosy.

Very nice -

Could you have a word with my wife please!? :grinning:

2 Likes

Looks very “in your face”, I love it!

That’s a lot closer than I remember Scalford but looks good. Which drivers do you use on the horns and what are the crossing points?

You have to come and hear it, it is quite er, exhilarating! :grinning:

2 Likes

I have Line Magnetic 555 field coils on the low mid, Vitavox S2 on upper mid. Raal 140 15-D tweeters. Eminence 15" in the mid bass and Eminence Lab 12 in the subs. Exact Xo points are tough to remember now but are something like 100, 300, 1200, 11000. 6th order on the bass and 2nd everywhere above that.

3 Likes

Ooh, nice drivers! Similar xo points to me in my OB. Every couple of months I look into replacing my drivers from 300 to 400 up with CDs and horns but never get any further than thinking about it.
Space is a bit limited for the mid bass especially. Couldn’t afford the 555 and S2 quality either so would need to look for alternatives😉.

Bloody hell I bet that’s amazing!

Looks totally batshit nuts and fantastic at the same time :smiley:

1 Like

I could try but I think this stuff needs to be set up early in a relationship. I had a living room full of hifi when Kerri and I first met and got into horns when our kids were barely toddlers.

Seriously, we went through an absolutely terrible time when our kids were very young. Triplets, identical boys and a girl, James born with a hypoplastic left heart and other major problems, which were basically a death sentence. The horn project started out of that because I guess, I needed a distraction and also, after watching my lad go through 8 months of open heart surgery and 11 other operations/procedures with such fight, I realised that this isn’t a fucking dress rehearsal and you have to do what you want to do. Kerri is onside because of this. She would stop me doing something if it was expensive but not over space or ugliness!
Apologies if I have just bummed everyone out! :grin:

35 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, I thought it sounded better sat half way down the room when you had it at t’other end.

1 Like

I think you’ll like how it sounds even more now, it images better and integration is better than it was near-field at the other end of the room. The bass may need a tweak. The basement is underneath the subs instead of the concrete at the other end of the room. I’m not sure it has quite the slam it did, but not being too hasty with adjustments.

1 Like