Shit broadband or rural areas

lucky, lucky bastard

We never even get close to 2 mbps.

Wish I was joking.

2 Likes

I had to stop using home plugs as they Introduced noise on the mains and this was picked up by my phone stage.

I now use an ASUS external antenna in my desk top pc.

Lol, poor baby, no chance you’re gonna get virgin fibre in Norfolk.

Get used to slow pr0n!

I’ll add it to the list of things you didn’t measure / check. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

To mitigate your pain, yes it’s worth spending on a dongle with a proper antenna - I was getting very low throughput on a thumbnail type.

1 Like

As if you could ever do that :rofl:

1 Like

Ive got one of these for hard to reach places. Works a treat.
TP-Link TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00416Q5KI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-UhcEbMHDQGW0

1 Like

If you get a decent mesh wifi system, I think that most/all will have the ability for plugging in something directly to the remote access points. So as long as you have one of the access points next to your PC, you’ll be using the (very good) aerials in the mesh access points, rather than the shitty USB stick you buy.

1 Like

The speed of our new Sky broadband is actually better than I previously mentioned - about 48/49 mbps in the downstairs front room where the Sky router is positioned. But sure enough, when I set up my personal desktop and work laptop in the smallest bedroom, which I’m using as an office/study, the speed was far slower at around 5 - 10 mbps and the connection was dodgy, dropping out quite often. :worried:

I was about to order one of those boosters you guys recommended upthread, but thought I would call Sky first to see if I could blag a booster from them :grin:

They said I should wait until my Sky Q tele box is installed because it boosts the broadband signal. The Sky engineer arrived on Friday to set up the tv/dish and he confirmed what they’d said. Bingo - despite that the router and Q box are in separate rooms on the ground floor, we’re now getting 48/49 mbps anywhere in the house…yay! :smiley:

9 Likes

Interesting. I’ll bear that in mind if I stick with Sky when I eventually move into our new place. So far I have resisted their attempts to get me onto the Q box :grin:

Anyway hope you and Anne are settling in well. :house_with_garden:

1 Like

I’ve just finished moving from the bog standard Sky Router to the new faster more powerful router. All the ball-ache and whinging aside it is rock solid and really rapid at all hours.

As for Sky-Q, we’ve always had this since I booted Virgin into touch about 5 years ago. We* are very happy, it is extremely reliable, picture quality is excellent, and the iPad app etc is fab.

*By ‘We’ I mean the rest of the family. I rarely watch TV and don’t/won’t have one in my study where the stereo lives. Aside from the football, and the very odd series, I would rather read a book.

3 Likes

Any comments on these things?

Do they work?
Any thing to be concerned about?

I get the same speed wired or wi-fi, so I think the whole premise is a crock.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s about the speed (can you even increase that with one of these devices ?), so much as splitting the load if there are multi-users and the reliability.

Just read the T&Cs

Products need to be sent back to us unopened and in their original package in order to be refunded.

So you can’t try and return if not happy which makes it a non starter anyway

That is a breach of your consumer rights, so, you can return it (recorded delivery!), provided you send it back within the 14-days-from-purchase deadline.

1 Like

Indeed, LDSR etc etc
But Honk Kong based company

The DSR were replaced by the Consumer Contracts Regs in 2014. I’m not sure they would get you very far with a Hong Kong based supplier though. You might have tried a Section 75 claim against your credit card, but they’re only for purchases of more than £100. Perhaps Chargeback would work https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/#chargevs75 ?

VB

I haven’t bought one, and I am not going to.
I have totally broken with normal forum practice and asked advice before purchasing :grinning:

2 Likes

No, I didn’t think you had. I just wondered if you could buy one safely because your CC would cover you.

VB

Haha, the fuck is that?

Magic box