Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

Yeah, he’s not the best. I quite liked the story of how they got the pilots to do ‘boring’ photo mission training though :slight_smile:

We were using a short laser pulse to excite a sample then we watched how it subsequently behaved by probing it with another short pulse of a different colour - so-called pump-probe experiments. By varying the time gap between the pump and the probe we could plot out how quickly the sample relaxed after having been excited. We could vary the delay by sending the probe pulse down to a movable mirror some distance away. The speed of light is 1 foot per nanosecond so if the mirror is 6ft away then the delay is 6ns there and 6ns bouncing back, so 12ns total. Measuring the delay is easy - you just have to measure distance accurately. But usually the hard part is finding out where the zero delay is i.e. when the pulses are overlapping. A streak camera’s dead handy for that.

1 Like

And we are back to the slaughterhouse thread.

5 Likes

You’re digging a big hole now, Greame. But fair play for giving it a go :muscle:

1 Like

“Carpet bombing wisdom-pearls into the vast, primaeval jungles of Derp.”

But thanks for trying :ok_hand:

1 Like

Didn’t have a clue what “easter eggs” are in film references, still don’t particularly care but at least know now.

Always liked software easter eggs.

4 Likes

I once encountered a system with a back door that bypassed all authentication.

At the front screen you just typed in “Basingstoke home of roundabouts” with no vowels or spaces and it logged you straight in.

3 Likes

I built an entire hidden subsytem into WRHA’s light-pen selectable patient assessment system, which besides all of the usual admissions, clinical assessment, bookings, &c, let you assess how ugly your patient is, how annoying your patient is, how stupid your patient is, &c
To get to it you had to select a single unhighlighted block on a dark area of the entry screen that normally no-one would ever select, but if you did, it forced you to go though the whole lot before dumping you back out where you came from with the original data intact and unaffected, as it only existed at the Matrix Coding level (that names rings differently now!)…

It was 1988 and this seemed vastly amusing at the time, and needless to say, a few cack-handed hung-over nurses did find themselves in it…

4 Likes

1 Like

Also found in some cars…
https://www.hotcars.com/clever-easter-eggs-in-major-cars-people-dont-know-about/

2 Likes

Here’s a question. FoL#1 found this on a lane in darkest Cornwall. Pole cat?

Quite big ie >15" so not a stoat.

Maybe feral ferret?

Wildebeest.

1 Like

Looks like a ferret to me

1 Like

Is it Jacob Rees Mogg?

4 Likes

Quite a lean meat so…

Flour
Salt
Pepper
Butter
1 cup Sherry
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 jar sliced mushrooms

Cover roadkill with flour, salt and pepper. Brown in melted butter in heavy pan over medium-high heat until nicely browned on all sides. Remove pieces from pan and arrange in oven casserole with cover. When roadkill are browned, add 1 cup white wine or sherry to pan. Then mix in 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of celery soup, and 1 jar sliced mushrooms. Mix well and bring to boil, then pour over roadkill. Cover and bake in 325-degree oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until done and tender. Remove roadkill to serving platter and pour some of the sauce over, and serve the rest alongside. Serves 1.

3 Likes

(G-gulp) chupacabra!

Or ferret.

Wouldn’t the flour stick In the fur? :thinking:

2 Likes

Ferret. Definitely.
Seen enough of them to know. Last one was running round the drive way!

7 Likes