Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

Yes and No, that’s for the new voice system but won’t be going live until 2026, don’t know about the cyber side of it though.

TBH I’ve only been there 3 months and still learning.

In my defence I’m on holiday today and didn’t touch anything.

3 Likes

OK looks like it’s out in the media now anyway.

The flight planning system fell over, it’s an absolute beast of a system with some really complex code.

5 Likes

chinny_reckon_Jimmy_Hill

1 Like

Will this screw the next few days Chris?

Specifically, tomorrow :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Supposedly flying weds 6am….

1 Like

I’d expect it to last a few days, they would have cancelled loads of shorthaul or european flights today and those will be the backlog. I was told that longhaul is cancelled as a last resort as it’s harder to get additional flights in to cover those.

1 Like

Human rights violation right there.

4 Likes

That the surface area of Africa is 85% that of the Moon.

Today’s shit i learned. Excited about tomorrow’s shit.

4 Likes

Does that make Africa big (Mercator’s got a lot to answer for here) or the moon small ?

Does surface area include the up and down bits of the surface or just a flat plan view?

No idea why I asked Guy that question!
Should have been Bob.

1 Like

image

More commonly known as the Peters projection, it was published in 1974 by Dr. Arno Peters. It’s an “equal-area” map, borrowed from the work of 19th century Scotsman James Gall, which means it accurately scales land according to surface area, creating a far more balanced reflection of what the world really looks like.

Dymaxion projection or go home.

4 Likes

Does it make much difference ? I’d be curious to know if much of either body’s surface is significantly slopey (say steeper than 1 in 5). Erosion tends to reduce slopeyness on earth although plate tectonics here creates it. The moon has none of either.

I really don’t know but my opening guess would be that the area difference due to slopes is no more than a few percent.

I may be saved by the fact that I’m travelling to LCY.

I’m going this evening, and the equivalent service this morning is 20 minutes late. I’ll take that.

1 Like

Fucked if i know, but i reckon Africa has some bumpy bits too :slight_smile:

If civilisation had developed in the South, the South would be up.

There’s less south than north though, and quite a bit of it is hard for humans to inhabit at any density - ice-covered or jungle or desert (Australia, although the extent to which desertification there is due to humans is a matter of debate).