Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

I always love the fact that the most southerly city (Ushuaia, Argentina) is as far south as Belfast is north.

2 Likes

I think that’s covered by the"if" :grinning:

Yes it is. My post was more about the “why” rather than the “whether”. I’ve not kept up with the thinking about the development of civilisation but the last time I looked (decades ago, probably) it was argued that it began with agriculture. That allowed communities to produce what they needed without having to forage over a huge area, so we could support more people per square mile and not everyone would have to be a food producer. Before you know it you’ve got priests and aristocrats and philosophers and mathematicians and explorers and rap artists and contestants on Love Island.

Agriculture started where there was particularly fertile land and expanded into areas where there was more. And those places were mainly north of the equator.

They’ve cancelled the 6pm to LHR, and its would-be passengers aren’t happy that they’ve been rebooked for something on Thursday :grimacing:

Fussy buggers!

2 Likes

Dos kilos Olivos is a lot more than I had anticipated.

6 Likes

How drunk are you? :laughing:

I must confess I am stone cold stupid.

6 Likes

I know from experience that it is possible to eat a lot of olives, especially if washed-down with plentiful cold beers :ok_hand:

There are, of course, Consequences.

2 Likes

I think that still holds true. The last invasion of hunter gatherers coming in to steal the assets of a settled civilisation was the Mongol hoards swooping across Asia and Europe. Thwarted not just by the death of Ghengis, but mainly the realisation that they would have to assimilate to succeed, so they fucked off. Still rattling through the Ascent of Man :slight_smile:

Olive in a martini, olive tapenade, olive pizza, marinated olive antipasto, olive focaccia. . .

IMG_6288

3 Likes
1 Like

This, diff pronunciation

That it seems no longer possible to buy actual things using cash :rage:

1 Like

It’s beginning…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwicx8wO_Xt/?igshid=NjIwNzIyMDk2Mg==

Or for those that can’t access, a similar story…

Only 8% of consumer spending is done with cash, you are part of a small group who actually carries any!
We are all royalty these days :grinning:

So the 8% don’t matter then?

I want to buy something, they give me a price in British Pounds, I accept this price but they won’t accept British Pounds as payment for said thing

Cuntz

CUNTZ!!!

5 Likes

Most of the takeaways around here won’t take anything but cash. Shops are fine with whatever - just glad of the business. 'Tis Lincs mind, always 20 years behind…

Plenty of cash only places in Shetland (only) 20 years behind would be progress :grin:

This was in Durham and they came out with “legislation” blah, blah “company rules” blah blah “money laundering” blah blah.

There was a time when cash was king, now it’s just a pawn.

2 Likes

More like they don’t trust their own staff…

I’m not convinced this move to cashless is a good thing. It’s going to further disenfranchise homeless or itinerant people, ex-cons, &c. Fall out of the system and you will never get back in.

But wadda I know? … Just a Luddite old cunt…

1 Like