Show us your Baps

Back to basics today. Flour, water, salt, yeast.

70% hydration

11 Likes

My latest no knead effort. Proven in a silicone Lakue bread prep bowl then just dumped onto a silicone sheet and then on to a hot pizza stone in the oven. In my situation it comes out similar to using a dutch oven.

I wish there was silicone that does 240c?

13 Likes

Superb

1 Like

I know , or at least with similar properties

Cinnamon rolls by Fol1.

13 Likes

Good job today is a fasting day. A man could make a right old fat cunt of himself with a tray of that good stuff.

7 Likes

Mmmmm, pour me a coffee please :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Just out of the oven. Not the prettiest but at this stage I’m more interested in the taste. Very basic FWSY (flour - water - salt - yeast) but hydration up to 72%. I’m increasing it by small amounts each time and it’s getting harder to handle (particularly after the second prove) but the results have been encouraging.

I’ll worry about appearance once I’ve reached the optimum hydration %

5 Likes

Is optimum going to be the best taste or the best texture/crumb?
Is the flavour actually changing that much?

How much handling are you doing after 2nd prove?

Best taste, but more water also = better crumb IMO

When I first started trying to make bread I was doing 60% - now it’s 70%+ the taste is way better. Obviously, the changes are getting smaller and so are the changes in taste.

Very little but I have to get it from the bowl on to a sheet of baking paper and try to get it into the required shape, which (as you know from the no knead recipe) becomes more difficult as the hydration increases. Once on the paper it needs to be slashed and that is also more problematic when it is rather fluid

I must admit to not understanding this at all, so please excuse my ignorance, but it does fascinate me.

How does adding more water improve the taste ?

I started off some dough earlier and had an issue with the flour packet so put it all in the bowl then weighed the amount I took out of the bowl. It was a full packet so I should have had 500g in the bowl but it’s looking rather wet right now!

Well it certainly gives a more open crumb (texture) and I think that tastes better than a heavier bread. Perhaps it’s only because it traps more butter in the holes :thinking:

Ooh err missus…

4 Likes

This is worth reading if you’re interested

2 Likes

I’ve started having slices with olive oil and sea salt and I think I’m addicted.

Just when I started a low carb diet I started baking bread again :person_facepalming:

I think I can fit it in once per week going forward. I’ll start that soon, not yet lol

2 Likes

Haha, @coco 's friend does that with toast. I’ll have to try it

2 Likes

I do like salt though but yeah I love this.

Toast feels like I’m ruining the bread when I bake it myself :joy:

1 Like

Is that unbuttered salt?

8 Likes

That is what I do with most bread I eat.
Nicely toasted, nice drizzle with olive oil then maybe a bit of ham or cheese.
Great for being used to scoop up hummus.

1 Like