Slaughterhouse

Further experiments with CBD oil, in search of a tolerable frame to live within.
The menthol Hope brand from Vaporize this time around

Recommended dosage, 3-5 gentle puffs / 3-5 times per day, is certainly in the right ballpark.
The vape recommended to me, I’ll recommended in return. The Edura T20 S, almost no smoke or smell. Easily enough juice for a day solo, or a social evening. Nicely engineered, three- thread (maximum strength achieved with suitable material/diameter/pitch) fastening, friends or spare mouthpiece supplied in box.

Also good for mixing a drop or two with available herbs. Adds more body to the bedding, which this meatman prefers.

1 Like

B2T’s Chai du mois

1 bag Pukka original/ one bag Pukka vanilla chai.
Currently adding one bag tea India spiced chai, but a regular black tea bag will add body and colour just as well.
I aim to fill up the ‘soundscape’ of taste from bottom to top.
Add a couple of drops of CBD oil to each bag, and simmer for half an hour, topping up as needed.

My favoured milk blend is 20g protein zero fat Aveena, plus regular Graham’s full fat.

In reply to Paul’s question at Settle, I think it must be the added honey that also helps release the oils in black chai, so use plenty.

Then sit back and enjoy a sense of increased well-being in beautiful surroundings!

1 Like

I do not have the first clue what any of that means and I have equally no idea whether you eat it drink it or smoke it :thinking:

2 Likes

Masala chai

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I learned a new word. Jaggery. :grinning:

1 Like

Just what the single abattoirist needs - some mo’ lasses up for joukery-pawkery! :partying_face:

interesting listening to Louise’s reflections on her short stay in hospital.

In the interventional radiology unit, the team was slick, well managed, with what she thought were appropriate staffing levels.

On the ward; total chaos, too many staff on Thurs/Fri not enough this morning. Little or no leadership - 3 different people bought her pain relief this morning all within 10 minutes, if she had taken that much codeine and paracetamol who knows what would’ve happened. There appears to be 4 maybe 5 tiers of nurses on the ward, they are full of management but absolutely no leadership.

The are all very nice and helpful, and empathetic.

Sounds like a state run service. Inefficient but nice about it.

1 Like

Similar to when my Dad had sepsis 20 years ago. In ITU the care was exemplary. Nothing was too much trouble, too difficult or too expensive to try. As he recovered & moved further away from needing that level of care, standards dropped. But that’s surely how you’d want it in a service that’ll always have finite resources. Money & resources focussed where it matters most.

I heard someone recently describe the NHS as a second class service (ok it really isn’t the best in the world) but at a 3rd class cost (inferring that for what it does cost we do very well)

she was very careful not to say that standards dropped, because they didn’t.

A clear lack of leadership, about who should be doing what and when, leading to things being done multiple times. She says standards are fine in that everything that should be done is being done, but there appears to be a total lack of comms between staff etc

1 Like

I get that. It just became more chaotic & less well drilled the further away you got from the sharp end.

A clear case to bring back the Matrons (not as in the carry on films😉

1 Like

last night I met the “super sister” who was checking everyone was ok. Then we overheard her shouting at the ward sister “have you done x”, and the ward sister said “yes 10 minutes ago”, then the super sister, still shouting, sent the health care assistant round to do Louise’s hourly obs (blood pressure, temp etc). But the nurse had done them 5 minutes earlier…poor HCA looked terrified and confused…

this is just one small experience, but chaos…

Bring back matron!

We have them here.

Like everything, they’re not the same as they used to be.

I think it comes down to the training being too easy.

And what precisely do you base that on?

1 Like

The internet of things ?

1 Like

It shocked me when I first started working in the NHS and inside acute hospitals, that there was almost no visible or indeed concept of operational management. They just don’t get it or have a language for it, and most often they confuse operational and clinical management (that’s the bit they’re trained in, I know that’s obvious but it dictates the lens through which they view tasks and what needs to be done).

It was over ten years ago by now but as a sponsored experiment I ran 4 wards as the operational lead, working hand in hand with the senior nurse as the clinical lead. It was frankly a piece of piss given I come from an engineering/ process and ops background in industry. Things ran like clockwork, the ward was spotless and we ran under budget for the 3 months I was in charge. Care improved and longstanding grievances and issues like rota imbalances were all sorted.

The problem as I saw it, and still do, is that the hospital execs and operational managers do not focus attention on the smooth and efficient running of wards which make up 80% of running a safe, caring and well run hospital. They find 101 other things to do instead and seem happy to tolerate bouncing patients around wards, boarding patients in corridors (and worse), and discharging older patients too late in the day so they go home on their own in the dark. It’s learned behaviour and they normalise poor standards and shitty working behaviour.

So, it is about leadership, but that’s no good if there’s no operational dimension to it. But nurses are not paid or rewarded for these kind of competences, and then they end up being promoted to sister, matron, divisional head of nursing, director of nursing, without being trained or demonstrating how to actually run things.

The comment about training bring too easy is so far off the mark. The problem is not being trained or taught beyond basic clinical processes and administration. It’s not perfect but the current nurse training has been steered increasingly to enable trainees to be more numerate and operational. The problem then starts when you land them into wards which aren’t run well and are dominated by hierarchy which doesn’t do well with new ideas or challenge to the status quo.

Don’t even get me started on the can of worms that is nurse shift rotas :confounded:

5 Likes