Smart meters?

“Each time you have a 15 minute shower, I will buy some plywood and build a really ugly speaker.”

2 Likes

betterer

Came home yesterday to discover we have a smart meter. My wife did a little ‘Tada’ inwardly I felt Ta-damnit’

2 Likes

just change supplier and it’ll stop working.

or more interestingly coat in glue and wrap in tin foil to stop the death rays

I changed supplier and mine stopped working, for 12 months. But now has started working again:roll_eyes:

Stupid question warning…

was your account unbillable during the time it wasn’t working?

They just asked for meter readings.

So it was the data transmission that stopped not the meter itself.

Everything stopped, it was just dead.

So your old meters are still working?

No, they take out and replace the old meters. It was the internal monitor that stopped working, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the data is now being sent to the provider but the monitor works.

I have just got the bill in from my new supplier. A Smart Meter was installed and we agreed that my Economy 7 rate will be dropped for a flat rate and I would pay by Direct Debit. My first bill came in and was high but I saw that my Economy 7 rate was still in use and no Direct Debit even though I filled in the form. So I have decided to switch suppliers again because I cannot get through to Utilita (my current supplier). Apparently the new supplier will not take me on until my Economy 7 is changed by my current supplier. There are suppliers out there that will change my Economy 7 meter for free so can anyone recommend one? I will also dump the Smart Meter.

I am on Bulb they have always been good and contactable for me.
Using the ling gets you and me £50 discount.

1 Like

It was Bulb I wanted to sign up with but they do not change meters.

OK didn’t know that

The whole smart meter roll-out has been royally fucked up tbh

I have just signed up for a V2 type meter due to be fitted in August.
I might as well have one as apparently now it does mean accuracy and no need for sending readings in.

Overall the roll out is a massive fuck up but Im not worrying as this may all be lost in the noise of the latest fuck ups - Brexit and Boris - I worry that these two issues together for the UK could knock Trump and USA off of the top step of the podium of total ineptitude.

1 Like

The v2 ones actually work AFAIK, and aren’t tied to provider.

I have no idea how the government can mandate smart meter rollout without providing a common protocol. Beggars belief really.

What’s the verdict on these these days?