Smart meters?

I still don’t see any benefit for the user, so can’t be arsed with the faff of organising a date, them not turning up when they said they would, re-arranging a date etc.

I don’t have the excuse of not taking time off work for their convenience any more, but I still can’t be arsed

1 Like

I’m thinking that while I’m at home might as well do it as long as there is no downside - the standards are stable now? Or?

The standards are stable. None of the suppliers should be fitting any v1 units. I’m still not convinced that they provide any value to the end customer. They do help reduce costs for the suppliers, which they won’t pass on, as they all only do one meter reading once a year at annual review time. Once they are pretty much universal, they will look to increase the rate at which they receive readings and introduce time sensitive pricing. Like water meters, this will work for some but against others.

I’m getting one fitted in a week or so. According to their website it’s a V2, so should work with any supplier.

Who are you with?

Mine will be fitted in a few weeks. Bulb asked a while ago and I ignored the request. They’re in the neighbourhood again so thought why not.

We switched to EDF a few months back and they fitted a smart meter. The indoor display promptly stopped showing gas readings but they got the readings back at base for billing.

Last week we were asked to make sure the display was left on overnight for an update and the next morning it was showing gas and leccy

I like that you can set the daily/weekly/monthly budget for each and see if you are using more than expected

What I don’t want is to be charged as I use it so I get big wintertime bills - I like to build up the buffer over the summer and pay the same all year round.

But as suggested above, Uber style pricing is bound to be coming even though they buy wholesale months in advance… they’ll be mandatory very soon I’m sure

1 Like

We will be getting one fitted in October. Currently we have two meters; one for the storage heating, one for the rest.
Our neighbour (the farm) used to own the cottage and paid for the storage heating as one of the perks for working/living in a farm cottage. When they sold it, the meters stayed. Several owners hence, the two meters remain.
Now, the farm is changing their heating/hot water over to Biomass. They approached us 6 months ago and asked if we would be interested in taking advantage of it for a “nominal fee”. We did the sums, offered a monthly amount, did some haggling, and they agreed. Contract now signed, we now have to fit proper radiators and get rid of the storage heaters. £££££s.

But yes, we will then have one meter on Economy 7 and will go with a Smart Meter.

1 Like

Green Network Energy, apparently. I’m kinda surprised they are doing it, I would have guessed that the discount bunch would avoid it as much as they could!

We had ours fitted yesterday. The jury is well and truly out.

Am I meant to leave it plugged in charging 24/7?

Our charged for months - never working - Finally the suppliers admitted that fo some technical reason it wasn’t going to work.

One coming next month.
Then we can have the 5p octopus tariff. And cheap miles as we will only charge the car in the reduced time zone.
Don’t see how a smart meter can be of any other help bar the wifi meter readings.

Actually, I sort of lied. Yesterday, for the first time ever, our 4 year old went back to the toilet to turn the light off. This was as a result of him not wanting the smart meter to run away with itself. I hope that lasts.

2 Likes

I got a letter today inviting me to make an appointment to get a smart meter fitted. I believe it will be the new generation that can cope with transfer to a new supplier. Is there any reason that I shouldn’t go ahead?

No.

Second generation are fine. If you don’t have one you may regret it if you ever want smart tariffs or solar etc.
No downside at all.

1 Like

Downside for me was always needing to take some time off work to get it done for no benefit to me whatsoever. I never got it done at the last place.
Working from home now so that reason doesn’t really exist anymore, but the whole industry is rubbish. I have smart meters installed at the new place that my suppliers can’t read, they want to come and install different ones.
Still at absolutely no benefit to me.

I can’t be arsed with it.

3 Likes

Needs free watch… :grin:

I don’t need a clock in the cupboard!

Still can’t see actual user benefits right here and now. Future what ifs are hardly going to disappear with ‘sorry mate you’ve missed your chance to have a meter installed’ - there’s too much in it for the supplier.

Cheap milk float charging and real time checking that we aren’t exceeding the Powerwall’s output capability.

1 Like