Snooker - Sink the pink

So you’re going to shoot 64 in two hours then?

1 Like

Both of the final frames were adequately interesting.

If I could shoot a 64 I wouldn’t care how long it took!

1 Like

watching it now

1 Like

I didn’t see this afternoon’s. But the last three frames of this evening’s beggared belief.

VB

1 Like

Nowhere near as good as the last frame this afternoon Graeme. Take the time to watch a replay on iPlayer. It is absolutely mad.

Just watched that, and you’re right

1 Like

I just caught the BBC’s 60-second (so a travesty) summary of Wilson/McGill. They made it look like this afternoon was a sequence of mind-boggling flukes and misses. But this evening’s contained a few moments of what looked like unbelievable skill. At least once (possibly more than once) I think they said “shot of the tournament”.

That long fast red from O’Sullivan which won an entire frame.

VB

1 Like

That 138 clearance he made was just perfection. He threw caution to the wind and the level of skill required to pot every ball without seeming to plan his next shot (he did, of course) is just unprecedented in the history of the game.

He may not always win, I suppose nobody can do that, but he’s pure box office and a joy to watch when he’s in full flow.

1 Like

Maybe. The final frame this afternoon was a different thing. It was a real slog with myriad twists and turns. There is no way you could capture the tension adequately. This evening was exciting but this afternoon was better by far. YMMV though.

3 Likes

You’ve seen both, which does make the difference.

VB

Yep, 33rd frame this afternoon was a slow burner as the tension was ratcheted up notch by notch.

Last frame this evening, I was convinced Selby would clear up once the Rocket missed, despite a couple of tricky reds.

Luck played a significant part in both frames.

So have I and while this afternoon’s final frame was compelling viewing and utterly bizarre, for pure snooker skill tonight’s was in a different league.

If you enjoy snooker you’ll enjoy the final frame of this afternoon’s match. It is the most memorable frame of snooker I can think of in the last 25 years at least. The closest to the tension I can recall was the Davis-Taylor final that went to the last black.

2 Likes

Yep, but it wasn’t anywhere near as tense. I’ve never seen two players suffer as much.

Indeed, Wilson was near to tears when he fluked that brown. Amazing entertainment.

Cockpunch to Mark Selby @coco for being a grumpy loser

But but, it’s in the snooker thread

You’ll be in the snooker thread in a mo.