Something else is positive

:+1:

Done. The compilation looks great too. What a shocking list of kit to have nicked. Still, heā€™ll have backed up that HDD carefully, wonā€™t heā€¦ :grimacing:

Errr ā€¦

'Zactly. I had the same talk with my PhD student who left his notebook in my office and came looking for it in a state of panic later that day. No backup of the material on his HDD was in existence. I wouldnā€™t give back the PC until he backed it up using one of my USB drives, which I kept. It has TWATā€™s PHD written on it in Tippex. Feckā€™s sakesā€¦

3 Likes

I know. How on earth donā€™t they know ? Worrying isnā€™t it ?

Just remembered one of my first PhD students proudly taking his backup out of the same bag as his PC to show me when I asked had he backed upā€¦

:unamused:

I refer you back to the post above yours.

File under: Things that make you go FUCKS SAKE at the top of your voice and frighten the bloke in the office next door.

2 Likes

Who TF nicks an asthma inhaler?

A junkie I guess :frowning_face:

1 Like
6 Likes

Well sheā€™s certainly here to kick your ass and fix your truck.

Chapeau, madam.

12 Likes

thought that was a few years ago after she got arrested.

8 Likes

Would have loved to have been out to see this today although living 250 miles away doesnā€™t help.

Clear skies, no wind and low temperatures were key. However the subject matter is also stunning.

7 Likes

Why do they have the diesel behind? They did when we saw it going to Skegness a few months ago. I thought either in case of a breakdown or no way of turning it around?

A whole range of reasons to have a diesel on the back although tours donā€™t always.

Sometimes its because the coaching stock doesnā€™t support steam heating and the diesel provides the electricity for the coaches. Other times its because the trip is to location with no turn around option and diesel is there to haul the train back out perhaps to a servicing or reversing triangle or very rarely a location with a turntable.

However depending on conditions it can be just to have a built rescue/breakdown option. Also if the trip is running late either through no fault of its own or perhaps down to poor coal the diesel can help maintain or regain time. Network rail penalties for late running within the control of the operator can remove any profit.

Also sometimes the diesel is just dead on the back and only required for a return trip etc. For example when the tour is also a positioning move for the steam locomotive. Another reason is perhaps because the original planned locomotive has to be replaced and the substitution is less powerful and needs a hand on steeper gradients.

In short its complex and running steam tours in 2021 is a challenge.

4 Likes

Would I be right in thinking you spent a lot of your younger days down at Mumps with a flask, a notebook and an instamatic?

2 Likes

Actually near Middleton Junction during school lunches and Victoria Station on a Saturday or Sunday. But yes a good guess.

Mumps is now just a tram stop with all of the old station gone. I think some of it though is now at Bury Bolton Street station on the East Lancs Railway

1 Like

Itā€™s the shortest day of the year.

Nearly Spring and Summer is on its way.

Cheer up you grumpy cunts :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::popcorn:

4 Likes

Valid point

1 Like