Sous vide

Anyone given it a go? Got a kit last week and done chicken and topside so far, very easy to use.

The topside was amazing, tasted like decent forerib and tender as anything. Just butter salt and pepper in the bag and then seared after cooking for 7 hours.

!

3 Likes

Yes, makes doing rib eye steaks a doddle.

Unless Sous Vide can be done on a BBQ there will be little interest here :grinning:

1 Like

You can combine the two for extra faff.

4 Likes

That is the next logical step… :smiley:

Tempted to get a decent sized blowtorch to finish steak, see how it goes compared to hot pan and butter.

I have one too, Anova, excellent device! I’m planning to sous vide a massive Porterhouse for Christmas day along with a turkey crown and a gammon. I expect the bbq to be heavily involved.

4 Likes

Very nice I went for ivide just because they had a sale on. Beef wellington will be my boxing day treat.

3 Likes

Christmas lunch…

3 Likes

tenor%20(1)

Want that

1 Like

This was the last one I cooked:

Would like to cook one twice the size. There are 9 of us on Christmas day and it would be nice if everyone got a bit!

3 Likes

Is that one of those Charles and Diana commemorative type plates?

2 Likes

Haha, could be! My mum gave it to me about 30 years ago and she likes the royals. It’s kind of horrible but the thrifty side of me is happy to use it until it dies. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks. I picked one of their bundles up as a result of your post. £180 for the ivide, a vacuum sealer and bags and a 20 L container with lid. It came with a free blowtorch too!

1 Like

Where’s the pan juices on that (beautifully cooked) steak? And why did you give up cooking the chips half way through the process?

Closer inspection shows the chips to be better than at first glance.

Do you cook them in the oven?

1 Like

Triple cooked with a spell in the freezer. They were the best I have done them so far actually, crunchy!

1 Like

The juices remain in the bag if you don’t use them which I didn’t that time. No pan was involved, I seared the steak on the bbq.

1 Like

I now only double cook mine, just roast spud method… I boil them, and leave to cool / dry out. They then go in the fridge or freezer, space permitting, while the oven gets hot, 200 fan. Top shelf with a tray of sunflower oil, when it’s shimmering hot the chips go in. You can leave them for 30mins while prepping everything else.

1 Like

Hold on, we’ve got issues with elite crockery now?

Fuck you guys.

9 Likes

How long do you boil them for? How much oil do you put in the pan?