Sous vide

I have found a spell in the freezer works really well with roast spuds but I can’t get chips quite the same double cooking them. It seems to me that the boiling stage is very important too, you need them to develop fissures. The ones pictured were the best I have done but I think I can get them better and the boiling stage is the bit I need to concentrate on - I always bottle out of leaving them a couple of more minutes!

1 Like

I’m not blowing my own trumpet here…but I was doing this with cod steaks in butter sauce in the '70’s. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Until cooked.

About 0.5cm in the pan.

Turn frequently.

As Richie says, you need the chips to develop fissures. I find that cooking them through, then tipping from pan to collander breaks them up enough to get lots of rough edges. These edges crisp up (if sufficiently dried out, hence fridge time) in the hot oil.

I’ll take a photo of mine next time. Everyone tells me I make the best chips they’ve ever had, but honestly it’s no great secret or skill. Just roast spud method.

1 Like

You can slightly over cook them and they still work, just need longer to dry out.

I put them into the freezer for an hour after boiling and an hour after the first fry, forgot to mention. I can see how I can improve them but repetition means my trousers don’t fit!

2 Likes

Do you let them air dry after first cooking?

1 Like

I think that the freezer is much more efficient at drying them than the air, so I now get them in there ASAP.

On sous vide machines, do we think there is much difference between them? There are much cheaper ones than the Anova, but I wonder if they are as good…

Are you standing over them while they say this :slightly_smiling_face: ?

VB

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with other machines and only have a little experience with the Anova but it is a very solid bit of kit and works well. I bought it because one of my colleagues has one and she bought it because a friend of her’s has one… I guess it must have a reputation for being reliable.

I do, after boiling.

I certainly wouldn’t fry them more than once, you need the potato to cook without taking on moisture. Water will evaporate off, oil won’t.

Is this the latest forum fad, now that all those Oonis are gathering dust in the garage/loft/skip?

4 Likes

Buy now before prices rise

Next to the £3k bean to cup coffee machines and ree-to-reel faffmaster 5000’s.

3 Likes

I’m still using all of those things. I think I got the sous vide before the ooni.

I need a skillet so I can sous vide the steak, then ooni it!

1 Like

There must be a more complicated and expensive device than a skillet!

1 Like

Yes! now THAT is an idea. :heart_eyes:

Yes a fancy ooni branded skillet.

Now he’s stealing my ideas. :weary:

I’m going to try it over Christmas as my sister has my sous vide and an Ooni + sizzler.

1 Like

Collectable skillets are a thing.