Sous vide

I do this but I wonder if the loss of moisture is greater.

12 inch sealing edge, so depends on the length of bag you get.

1 Like

Understood. Attractive price!

I bought this the other day:

https://www.sousvidetools.com/christmas-offers/ivide-cooker-package-offer

Mine came with a free blowtorch and loads of extra bags. I added a decent sized container with lid for not a lot extra. I’m looking forward to playing with this.

4 Likes

Buy a roll of bag instead of individual bags, so seal them the size you need them and cheaper.

1 Like

I’ve not found there to be a great deal, though in theory you’re right

Do vacuum sealers actually create a full vacuum in the bag? Given that atmospheric pressure is 14.6 lb/sq inch, why isn’t soft food like salmon just squashed? :thinking:

When I worked in a joinery shop years back, we used vacuum bag presses to glue sheets of wood and veneers together.

And carbon fibre stuff is done the same way. I suppose it’s just removing the ambient air that’s in the bag, not a strong enough vacuum to cause the water in the meat to evaporate and be extracted.

1 Like

I think on some of these machines at least, you can set the vacuum to lightly take the air out.

The situation with the water is complicated by the fact that the liquid is in contact with the vapour. If the liquid and vapour were in equilibrium then you wouldn’t be able to drop the pressure below that of the vapour until all of the liquid had ‘boiled’ away. But in practice equilibrium is difficult to achieve because the liquid water is impeded in its migration to the surface, where the vapour is, by the food’s structure. So if you had a strong enough pump you could drop the pressure at the food’s surface below the vapour pressure of water (20-30mbar at room temperature). As soon as you sealed the bag though water from inside the food would start to restore the vapour pressure.

In fact as far as I can see the pumps that are used for this process are relatively primitive and I suspect they wouldn’t be able to get down to this sort of pressure even if there was no water present. What they do is to remove most of the air, so the bag stays below atmospheric pressure as the cooking temperature rises and keeps the contents confined, preventing them from being lost to the cooking fluid (water or oil or air) as they would in normal cooking.

Dropping the pressure in the bag to a lot less than atmospheric will cause the external air pressure to act on the contents though. If they’re not crushed by this then that must be because they’re strong enough to withstand that pressure. ‘Soft’ (i.e. deformable) stuff can still be crush-resistant. Clay, for example, can easily have its shape changed by local pressure but if the pressure is applied uniformly its volume won’t be reduced significantly.

VB

1 Like

I think vacuum underpants might solve a lot of your problems.

1 Like

His problems or ours?

2 Likes

Both

1 Like

What problems? :joy: I don’t have any. Well, apart from an inability to measure :relieved:

1 Like

can you use a sous vide machine to gently confit stuff?

I reckon it would be very good for that.

Re heating - oh the humanity

4 Likes

For the dough boys

I am pondering another. I gave the last one away, as I didn’t really like cooking beef like that and it didnt get used. Meat like venison was quite good.

But I do like confit salmon etc…

They are excellent for breaking in shoe leather,

4 Likes