SOYS: State Of Your System

OK I know the piss will be taken but never the less :joy:

LP12 I bought in 1982. Slowly upgraded to just above middle of the range. Lingo 4 and Ortofon Cablenza Black.
Roksan Caspian Reference phono stage.
Cyrus CDXT Signature.
Cyrus DAC XP Sig with PSX-R2 psu.
2 x Cyrus Mono X200 Signatures.
ATM SCM40 speakers.

Cyrus Streamline 2 providing the streaming side and driving the Heybrook HB2’s in the conservatory.

Cheap PC through Stello U3 underneath for everything for Spotify and JRiver off the disk storage upstairs

All in a second hand Simon Little rack. No FOO cables.

24 Likes

Sounded damn fine to me

2 Likes

Funnily enough that should sound pretty good by my reckoning - there is a balance to be achieved pairing Cyrus with ATC.

Also, it looks good :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. Since I got the system settled, I’ve developed an obsession with mid century furniture.

One day I’ll discover what life is like without the burden of an expensive never ending quest for unattainable perfection. :grin:

6 Likes

Yeh, but drink might have been involved. Call you soon.

1 Like

Cease, lest one displeases Allah/Gaga…*

*Other deities are available.

2 Likes

Main stack, top left to bottom right.
Garrard 401 in much mass of kitchen worktop offcuts and perspex, Terminator arm and Cadenza Blue with Slate Audio Glassmat and Mörch weight
A Modushop box (containing Sowter 8055 step ups)
A Modushop box (containing the NAGAJ phono stage)
Sony SCD777ES with some Colin Yallop clock foo inside
ProJect DAC Box RS which needs a proper LPS building for it at some point
A Modushop box (containing a line stage using a 6SN7 and Sowter 1367 transformers)
Pi4 running PiCorePlayer
Technics ST8080 tuner with upgraded opamp and moderate foo caps around it
A Modushop box (containing a valve rectified power supply for phono stage and line stage)
TEAC R9 DAT recorder

A Modushop box (containing a dual mono Neurochrome Parallel 86 amp with a 300VA transformer per side)

ESL63s with attempts at KettleJnr proofing

19 Likes

No way. Absolutely not. Sober asa judge, yer honour

1 Like

:wink:

4 Likes

Noooooo! Not in that setup they weren’t

1 Like

Do it ASAP - it makes a very worthwhile difference.

Might even be worth being lazy and buying the matching PSU - seem to be a lot of RS range kit silly cheap on thiefbay.

Also - lob some Mullards in the DAC if you haven’t already :+1:

Since some of you might have heard my 5 way conical petal horn system at Scalford,
much has changed.

setting up2

I went exponential on mid bass, tractrix on mid, finally and recently from tractrix to Le Clèac’h on upper mids -
I wanted a pair, they are bigger than my lathes can swing, so I figured out how to turn them out of thick softwood using an alternative method.
These are a great improvement over both tractrix 550 and 400Hz horns I had been using.
Only the tapped horns (subs 90Hz → 20Hz), and Raal Lazy Ribbon tweeters remain from the original system.

On the 3 very important middle ranges all the drivers have changed too.
Obtaining a pair of Vitavox S2s and getting them factory refurbished was such a result.
The crossover went from passive (cumbersome and fairly crude at 2nd order for all) to DSP and have been refined a lot.
Careful DSP time alignment is important to me. This really allows a full front loaded system to shine.
The amps on mid bass and tapped horns are much more powerful and with higher damping factor.
I auditioned some massive audiofool amps at £20K odd, but for ‘simple’ sub and mid bass duty what I now have beat them handsomely.

Front end.
From CD to them PC serving of flacs, replaced with Qobuz, RPi Reclocked streaming.
Linear power to all…
I can still listen to SPU Royal N, FR64s, SP-10 vinyl setup, but rarely do.

We moved over 5 years ago and it’s all nestled nicely in a loft room in the New Forest.
The room was initially a challenge and I kinda left things a few years until during lockdown, I worked on crossover points, DSP room mode control (subs only), sub repositioning, the Le Clèac’h horns and the tweeter crossover slopes and points.
This gave great improvements.

The word faff gets used on this forum a fair bit, I noticed!
But when I’m in the right mood I see that as part of the hobby, as long as faff takes you forward. Or is part of the process.

The system evolves and continues to give immense enjoyment.
I listen most evenings during the winter.
Summer and during Wimbledon a bit less often🙂
Other half has started listening more recently too.

This pic is pre Le Clèac’h on the upper mid.

Over and out

31 Likes

Think I’ve just done one of those willy things

5 Likes

If ever there was an acoustic space that horns made some more-than-usual sense in, that is it :ok_hand:

1 Like

Also, when I see that sort of set up I realise that I am playing in the Corinthian league. And I cry. And cry. And cry.
Bravo, sir - you have broken my heart :cry:

Nothing used from what I can see, and in any case it would mean that it wasn’t a Modushop box with a blue LED.

Not done it but I’ve never really got on with the valve output compared to the normal output. Always seemed to add colouration without also doing much else positive.

Entirely fair enough. The tube stage changes the output impedance, so can be for better or worse depending on system, and it’s probably that you’re hearing; Filter 2 / Tubes / XLR out for me - nice to have choices :+1:

:rofl::rofl::astonished::rofl::rofl::rofl::astonished::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

So many different systems. They all give massive pleasure to the listener.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nowt else matters, fuck all, zilch…

3 Likes