Spotify Is Really Wank

I’m a life-long techie so I believe that I tend to handle software with kid gloves because I know it’s held together with gaffer tape. I don’t just smash buttons until it does what I mean.

But I did appear to do something quite speshul to it within a few minutes of starting to use it.

I have both Qobuz and Spotify family with 5 users, of course🙄

The Qobuz Android app works fine for me.
The Qobuz implementation in Volumio leaves something to be desired functionality wise… they are and have be working on it (like forever).
There’ll never be a Qobuz connect I understand :sob:

All this pain bcos people are too lazy to stand-up and stuff a disc in/on a thing and (mebbe) press a button.

Y U do this to urselfs?

1 Like

Coz we don’t have space for a billion discs praps :ok_hand:

Priorities, muthafuckas, do you even have them?

I realise I’m in a small minority but I love my CDs and CDP, and the act of putting one on.

5 Likes

Yes. Yes. Yes.

This was what got me back into vinyl, and has meant I have never really fully embraced streaming.

It is the sense of occasion, much as with winding a mechanical watch.

The tech is obsolete; better exists; but without Occasion, something small and precious is lost.

1 Like

Yes, the ritual aspect. Think it’s the same with a lot of things; ex-stoners I know say they found they missed the skinning up process almost as much as the actual smoking.

I think with all these things there’s a tactile element that’s part of the pleasurable activity (ooh err).

Tbh as space issues have forced my CD collection into slips packed into flight cases, browsing the collection is now a pain and it’s only a matter of time til I become bothered to rip and stream. But I know I’ll miss playing CDs still.

1 Like

Spotify (or any other streaming service) does not replace CDs.
I don’t own a CD player and ripped all my CDs a long time ago.
They are all in the loft.
I still buy CDs (and rip them) when the music is not availible on any other format.
I will never buy another CD player

I also stream music which lets me listen and make better informed buying decisions and allows me to play music of choice in the car via phone apps and bluetooth.
I use Quboz at the moment since Tidal went MQA but if Spotify actually get their act together and provide a CD quality service I would go back

1 Like

If you use the CA Stream Magic app then the app will support Qobuz

Don’t do it. You think you’re being practical, moving with the times (ca 2005, maybe), but the first time your HD dies, or somehting like Apple corrupts every rip, you will curse the day…

But too late! Because you already threw-away those once-despised Jewel Cases, and then you binned the aluminised polycarbonate circles, and now you have nowhere to go, and your hifi testicles are landfill…

Don’t go into the light Brother Josh!

Yeah, I couldn’t even see Qobuz on the Stream Magic app :thinking:

I use it on mine, it is under Library>Services
I will see if I can post a screenshot tomorrow.

1 Like

That I get, but for me CD ruined the ritual aspect of vinyl. I never liked CDs as it was so lame, opening the shitty plastic case - just compare that to pulling out a beautiful gatefold 12" and admiring the artwork as you slide out the record.

I also miss the ability to sort my records so I could have my current favourites all together. I used to have a three tier system for organising my vinyl: stuff I love, stuff that’s decent and I’d play someone’s, and stuff that’s basically shit. Admittedly my library was like 1% the size of currently is…

As filing systems go the: 'stuff that’s basically shit" category could be renamed: “Poor Feng Shui”

If only it wasn’t always the largest section of my records :unamused:

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone feel like that about their collection?

I Feel like most of mine is tat and I reckon if I sold off all the stuff I don’t play and replaced it with others, I’d still hate it!

This probably has more to do with streaming though thinking about it. I’m more likely to stream a new remastered thing I already like, or listen (stream) to something new. :smirk:

It’s better with streaming, for me. The records nagged me that there was £500-worth of shit there, which I could ill afford as a kid. With streaming, the extent of my commitment to that particular album is that I clicked the like button!

1 Like

Reducing art to 0’s & 1s is convenient, it is also rude.

Yes exactly. I hanker for the time when I’d buy a record and play it hundreds of times.

The closest I get to that these days is on the road. I have a handful of random cd’s in the van and that restriction means I’ve played them loads over the summer and really got to know them. Funnily enough, I’m not bored by them either!

3 Likes