Stupid insurance quotes

angrily shakes fist

Some companies don’t seem to care, I ended up with both cars on a multi car policy and now they are separate they both have the full NCD :smiley:

Does the milk float lease include insurance? I have seen some salary sacrifice schemes that do.

The whole system reeks of smoke, mirrors and bullshit tbh.

The NHS salary sac scheme did, but I have moved on from that for ‘reasons’.

Well duh, it’s insurance.

1 Like

Comparison sites are good My KA = £112.89 with lloyds
Is £400 excess though.

Stupid rule, you can only drive one at a time

True, but while you’re away the locals can nick the wheels off the other one.

VB

I suppose they are guarding exactly against our use-case. Ali could be driving one car and as named driver, I could be driving the other at the same time.

If you went to a multi-car policy for a bit would that split the ncd for the future?

It’s turned out alright. I still have 6 years NCD which is still just within the 2 year time limit. I was trying to get both cars insured under Ali’s 9+ years NCD and hence found out about that limitation.

It’s probably best I keep a policy going, all things considered.

Esure gave me a 2-car policy with the highest of the two NCB’s on both cars. When I left them, the NCB on both stayed at that higher level.

Imagine, if you can, that I know next to nothing about cars or insurance.

I’ve just had a renewal notice from Admiral (for it is they) for my 06 plate Corsa (950cc? 1100?).

Last year was £293, this year is £310, allegedly including a £25 discount for covid non-use.

This seems a bit shit because apart from anything else it’s more than the car is worth.

I’ve had a look at the “documents” online, but as far as I can see they’re almost completely opaque. There’s no indication of how they reached this figure.

Suggestions please.

Go on one of the comparison sites and get new quotes. Then challenge Admiral to get close to the cheapest one - it will certainly be lower than their quote. If they won’t do it, change.

Renewal quotes are always bumped up, and new policy quotes are always low. You can use this.

5 Likes

The cost of the insurance premium probably bears very little relation to the value of the vehicle being insured for most vehicles (the stupidly expensive like Veyron are likely to be different) but for ordinary mortals I suspect that the value of the vehicle is relatively small in relation to the potential cost of a driver maiming someone and leaving them requiring nursing care for decades. It is that latter risk that you are really paying for.

How do they reach the premium figure? That is a hugely complex calcul;ation way beyond my understanding but probably has something to do with the total risk the company bears versus the total premium income and how much they want your business.

1 Like

FWIW I used to work in credit risk (assessing the probability and cost of defaults on commercial loans). The calculations involved aren’t actually that complex, and are usually based on empirical models.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I am pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

mine was identical to last year - paid a few weeks ago.

For the first time in history my automatic renewal was lower last year.

Previous was £203 and renewal £184

Bit bonkers really as that’s for a 192 bhp Mini Cooper S and just 6 years ago I was paying £1100 for a 100 bhp Golf 1.6 Tdi