Stylus cleaning

Might lob a cheap cart into the sonic cleaner at work to see what happens.

Don’t leave it too long. If it is in solvent and the diamond is glued you might lose it.

So do you think that the bit that’s actually making contact (and which appears to have flats worn on it) is as indicated by the 2 arrows?

Was thinking of just using water

Yes, that is the worn bit. It would have been elliptical. The edges of the ellipse have been worn down.

Should be good.

Presumably the flat bits mean that you’ll lose high frequencies?

I would think so. Probably sounds very musical, like a 103, now.

I would expect it to look like this when new.

Yes I was looking at this image in a thread on Lenco heaven.

and this one

The vdH stylus was interesting with its fine ridge in contact with the groove walls. Eventually he had a falling out with the manufacturer Gyger over the IP. He said it was his design but they claimed it was theirs as they’d developed the manufacturing process.

This is quite a good thread about profiles.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22894

I think the Jico SAS stylii looked like that Microline. Would be interesting to check the profile of the Koetsu, as I have never seen what the profile should be.
Anybody want to send me a new one?

I do wonder what happens during the burning in process. Does the roughness of the diamond get polished?

Never knew koetsu used a quadrahedron stylus according to vinyl engine

I think it basically means fine line as that’s what’s left either side once the 4 corners are ground off.

What sort of microscope are you using to capture those images? They look nice quality pictures.

I have a benchtop scanning electron microscope in the workshop at the moment. It is waiting to go back to its owner, but a Linn Asak accidentally fell in it.

If anybody wants one I can probably get you a deal for £50k or so.

Why would you want to scan a benchtop?

Reasons.

It sits on a benchtop silly. As opposed to a floorstanding one.

What, an Asak?