Technics SP10 build

If you have it balanced shouldn’t it be bringing the weight toward the bearing rather than to the end of the shaft when you set the down force?

1 Like

Hmmmm
If it is level and balanced with it in the open and arm down position…

Moving the weight back would tip it back and up. I can’t see you are right!??

Edit. You are right. That’s what I mean originally. The weight is almost on the bearing and on it when set at two.

That’s what I meant!

Ah ok from your description it read like you were moving the weight back to “the end of the shaft”

If it’s fouling on the bearing assembly use the heavier weight.

Add some weight to the head shell end
A shim or blu tac

I need to. Although the specs suggest it should be ideal for my cart weight. I didn’t expect to have to as it’s within suggested weights. Odd.

Is that spec for a 9” or 10” arm?

Hana sl is 5g
The old Jelco website seems to have gone so I’m trying to find the charts now. It’s a 750e.
Edit. Vinyl engine says 4 to 12g with the smaller weight. It is on the edge.

Pics will help and make this quicker :+1:

Yes stick some extra weight to the headshell

Is it a fixed head shell btw?

No. It’s a 12g shell. 5g cart.

The arm should be ok 4 to 12g with the standard weight.

It needs a couple of grams adding I think. That’s way too much blu tack (and I am guessing adding damping oil makes no difference!?)

Mebbie give us a cart/head-shell shot Steve? Do you have the overhang set correctly?? I’m just thinking having the cart too far forward in the h/shell would give these symptoms with the lighter weight I have the 9" SA750D & my current AT33 PTG 2 is about 2mm forward of being mounted flush in the h/shell with the overhang set correctly.

Other way round :grinning: having to he cart to far back in the headshell might do it.

It’s a good call.
I have no protractor so it’s a guess.
I will borrow a Dr F and set it up. Then see. Right now it’s got a big lump of blu tac and it sounds good!

4 Likes

Looking at it I’d say your cartridge is set to far back in the headshell.
The arm looks close to the spindle for a 10” arm as well, could just be the pic though

Nice looking set up, despite the fact that you don’t have a scooby what you’re doing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

LOL…oooops! Having a durrrrr moment!!!

Though I could still be on the right track with the overhang being out, by the look of things.

Yeah it looks it.

Print off a protractor from Vinyl Engine.

1 Like