Technics SP10 build

Yep I suspect when you get a protractor on it your cart will be too far back.

So first impressions, how’s it sounding vs your Sony then?

I don’t have a printer.
I suspect it’s on hold now until I get a proper tool and stop arsing about guessing. Trying to measure 15mm from the spindle is like pissing in the wind. Had enough!
Thanks for the help. It was too far back so hoping that will make a difference. If not it’s back to blu tac

Have you got a geometric compass if so just draw a circle on a piece of paper with a 15mm radius. Stick it over your spindle and measure the overhang.

VTA looks off.

7 Likes

I think the VTA is about the only bit that looks right. Despite the running joke…
Compass… nah. Printer. Nah. Fed up. Yep.
I haven’t even mentioned that the extra lead on the broadcast SP10 was too big for the plinth exit hole, so I’ve had to use my second SP10 with the stop start bust.
:bowing_man:t2:‍♂️

Ditch the horrible rubber mats you get with it and use a copper one and a turntable weight.

First things first! Might have a weight lined up and a mat when I can afford it!

A copper or gunmetal mat is money well spent.

2 Likes

What is the distance from the bearing spindle to the centre of the arm bearing… I’d guess it should be ~230-235mm for a 10" arm. Did the Jelco come with a drawing showing what it should be?

1 Like

Mpingo with marble and glass inserts?

I’ll borrow a Dr F and just nail it. Having only ever set up the integrated Sony arm it’s worth getting this one right.
The other one was one measurement and done!

A copper or gunmetal mat makes sense, I’m very sceptical about weights though, foo bollox IMO.

1 Like

Pah! Onyx and gold is where it’s at :laughing:

1 Like

Foo bollox indeed.

If you want owt just get a Mitchell clamp.

2 Likes

I did and it didn’t fit the Sony!
Sent it back. I have a few warped records and I’m hoping a weight may help. At least the torque on the SP10 means they can’t hurt…

I had one, they are shite

A weight that flattens warped records? How heavy is that then?
I don’t believe any centre spindle weight can flatten warped records, you need one of those ridiculous rim weights as well.

1 Like

Hope they aren’t as warped as my record store day effort

7 Likes

I’ve bought Audio Technica 18g headshell to use with Denon 103, they also do 13g and 15g.

I may be able to pop over tomorrow with Tim’s Dr F and my clone if it helps?

2 Likes

Oh sorry. I thought you had some sort of idea about turntables.
Nevermind. :wink: