The AA Bridge Thread

When I first moved to Brighton some of the older folk used to reference the Chain Pier.
But I have a feeling there were pubs named after it or some of the land based buildings still carried the name. There is still a Chain Pier House in Kemptown not far from the Volks railway terminus

2 Likes
2 Likes

It is quite the thing

Google Photos

2 Likes

Remember walking over it as a child. I think it was under repair then, that seemed to take for ever to complete.

1 Like

Several months too late for Seth and Chris, but they found a way…

3 Likes

Is this finally going to be built?

If so it will be fucking massive!

2 Likes

399m pylons!!

90m taller than The Shard.

Big.

It sure is! I think the Suspension Bridge with the tallest Pylons is the Golden Gate… :nerd_face:

The cables on the Messina Strait bridge will be as thick as the Entrance Door is wide on a typical bus! :scream:

Any potential speaker cable applications :thinking:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Cable lifters required…

1 Like

But but…they’d need to be 399m high.

2 Likes

But the veil over some recordings are definitely going to be lifted; also much more headroom too. :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

ISWYDT

1 Like

Gem Bridge over the river Walkham down here in Devon.

There used to be a railway (with tunnels & bridges by Brunel) running down to Plymouth from Tavistock. The route crossed the fairly deep Walkham valley and remained in use until the Beeching cuts of the 1960’s. The original bridge was an impressive structure.

but was demolished in 1963 with the impressive pillars being blown up.

It was decided to re-open the trackbed as a cycle/walking trail, the new bridge was built using some of the original’s footings and opened in 2012.

It still surprises me that the necessary funds were found to do this (for a cycle trail) but it’s quite an elegant thing and gives great views as you ride or walk across it.

9 Likes

Viaduct just down the road from me was demolished in 1968 to make way for the M32

Demolisher looks happy to hit the switch although not all the structure collapsed as intended.

2 Likes

Back in February we went to the M32 flea market under the elevated part (last Saturday of the month) and had a great time. It’s right by you, do you ever go?

Artist under the viaduct

1 Like

No, I already have fleas.

3 Likes