The AA Bus Stop

This is not mine; raises some good points though.

Im making some progress with my own related campaign however …

3 Likes

Was this you Stu @MonitorGold10 :grinning:

9 Likes

Love it!:+1::+1::+1::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It did make me laugh :+1:

1 Like

Took some pictures at the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust Bridgeton Bus Garage open day today. Interesting couple of hours. I’m sure @MonitorGold10 will know a lot more about these lovely old vehicles than me :slight_smile: I didn’t realise Daimler made buses…

5 Likes

I’ll need to pay that a visit :+1:

1 Like

Yes, Defo worth a visit.
They also has some old bicycles there, military vehicles, trucks, fire engines, etc

This must be one of the first full susser MTB 1995.

3 Likes

A couple of months back, I wrote to DTW to ask if they might cover a bus.

Boy did they deliver!

4 Likes

And you got a credit!

1 Like

Ha! I didn’t realise that! How cool is that*

*probably not, really but as a Leyland man…:grin::grin::grin:

5 Likes

I’d like them to do a piece on the Leyland Royal Tiger Doyen next. It was launched forty years ago and was a fucking sales disaster.

Styled by John Heffernan, this rear engine integral coach was designed to match competition from Setra, Mercedes-Benz MAN and others.

Unfortunately, the workforce at Roe, Crossgates , Leeds were not allowed to work around imcompete and inaccurate Technical Drawings from Leyland.

Also, a major bollock was dropped in not designing in a (UK) Sunken Toilet and Emergency Exit.

Subsequent delays and poor build quality cost the company dear. Production was shifted to Workington when Roe was closed and the shortcomings of the original design were addressed.

Too late though unfortunately and when Volvo took over Leyland Bus in 1988 the Royal Tiger was quickly dropped.

Useless facts:

Headlamps from contemporary Rolls Royce.

The Grille Badge was frequently stolen and some operators had locked cages with spares.
The badge was said to be as heavy as it is to counter the weight of the rear engine.

I have the badge that was intended for the coach in the first picture.

The second one shows my actual badge on my mate’s coach. She has three of these now…

:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

1 Like

Fuck. Should have added one in a more suitable contemporary livery…
52005569705_884d014274
52125812743_ec52c5e64d
And a Police Specification one…

1 Like

I must include the final National Based vehicle; the BR Class 155:

Some ingenuity was shown in adapting Bus Bodywork to form a train. Unlike the Pacer Family, this is all Leyland Bus and is self-supporting.

I’ve travelled on one and the interior gives the game away. That and the relatively small windows !

Warranty work for these vehicles nearly ruined Leyland Bus; indeed was it not for the Leyland Olympian- at the time the best selling 'decker in the world- and the Lynx, Volvo would likely have closed Leyland Bus earlier…

1 Like

Nice send off.

1 Like

Found @MonitorGold10

10 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Not me, sadly! I tend to keep myself to myself unless I’ve built up a rapport with individuals.

Their attitude may affect the outcome of their journey, however.

A good example:

Driver, can I catch that bus in front?

translation Drive like a cunt and cut in front of the bus so I can get on it.

I stopped at the next bus stop , but unfortunately the bus in front started to pull away.

Same thing happened at the following stop. So that didn’t work out. It might have done if there was a bit of respect…

The passenger in question did not appear to recognise that there were other passengers on board and that Im not driving a big red Minicab…

5 Likes

Bring back RMs
We used to leap on and off at daft speeds as schoolkids

1 Like

One of these oddities survives in preservation!

2 Likes

Bus for sale in Shetland!

runs and drives great - £500
:grin:

2 Likes