The Football

As a football mad 8 year old, I remember watching it all unfold in '66. Most matches, including the final, I watched at my grandparents house. Great memories!

I couldn’t see Nobby Stiles and Jack Charlton doing this the morning after a game :grinning:

3 Likes

Just picked my 15 year old son up and his friend, he asked me what the score was,and is Rooney still playing.

I asked them both why they don’t watch the matches,they find the whole match boring,but like to watch the goals on you tube.

Just dropped them both off at the charity shop.

Can you remember all the England games?

You’d have probably got a few quid for their organs.

1 Like

On the plus side,he seems to have got over this ridiculous supporting Man utd malarkey

2 Likes

Yes, particularly the horrible game against the cloggers from Argentina in the QF and the SF against Portugal. I was terrified that Eusabio would be too good for us, but they limited him to just the penalty. I still remember him patting Gordon Banks on the cheek after he’d sent him the wrong way.

The final was mad. So many ups and downs, it was the first time I can remember being nervous watching a game of football.

2 Likes

Have watched the whole final a couple of times,but never seen much of the other games.

Should make an interesting spectacle walking down Regent st.tomorrow.

1 Like

Portugal game in the SF was one of the best.

Bobby Charlton was immense.

4 Likes

My Dad took me (age 11) to the Nth Korea v Portugal game at Goodison Pk. Fantastic game as NK went 3 nil up and Portugal won it 5 - 3. Eusabio got 4 of them.:heart_eyes: One of my last fond memories of my Dad (he passed away a couple of months later in August '66)

13 Likes

Nah, I used to watch Hartlepool in those days. Same expectations though.

My Dad didn’t start taking me to Roker Park until I was 10.

Oh, and fuck off.

4 Likes

You forgot ‘and die’.

1 Like

Sorry :grinning:

1 Like

He does; but at the level of a ten year old with an everlasting life in front of him - he said about the Belgium-Brazil game ''this is one game I am definitely not leaving" (his hero de Bruyne), whereas last night’s Croatia-Russia, " this is boring I’m off to play footy in the garden". What is nice is when he goes out in the garden and I sneak a look and see him pretending to be (e.g.) Ronaldo taking that free kick - huge concentration on the face as he looks up at the crowd then…

I remember doing just that as a kid - imagination is all :wink:

4 Likes

Interesting that 6 of 8 QF places and all 4 SF places went to European countries. Is there merit in adjusting the allocation of places or continent?

I do like the surprise of a good eastern country, Japan this time, but Panama were just awful, as were several African nations. To lose Holland and Italy to their like is disappointing.

Of the players remaining for the Semi Finals, 40 are from the Premier League, 12 from La Liga, 11 from Ligue 1, 9 from the Bundesliga & 8 from Serie A.

Are these including squad players Guy, or just those that started the quarters?

The game of trying to make reasonable excuses to not have to be located at an office on Thursday begins. First, manipulate the meeting schedule and then shift any vaguely important tasks to Friday or whenever.

Squads of the 4 countries left in.