The Football

The game is on Wednesday. What’s the problem with Thursday?

The hangover isn’t.

2 Likes

Whoosh :smile:

OK. I don’t drink.

@Wayward, pants are clearly the way of the future:

Chelsea have six players. :grinning:

This is true for me too. I don’t think I have ever seen a team play such beautiful football as Brazil’s 82 side (although the films I’ve watched of their 1970 side are magical too). I recall being really angry when Italy beat them, mostly because of Romeo Gentile, who was particularly inappropriately named. That Italy team was Zoff, Gentile, 8 Buzz Killingtons and Paolo Rossi.

Excellent description.

My wife loves the Italian football team and is a fan of the ‘mans game’ kick ‘em up in the air philosophy, but with a sprinkle of sheer class to actually create/ score the goals. Del Piero remains her favourite player to this day for his impact on rather industrial Italian teams he’s improved.

82 was the first WC I can remember and prepared me for ongoing disappointment in an England shirt

I was in England in May 1981. In a week I saw 3 very early New Order gigs and then watched this:

Sorry about the quality. Eder making Ray Clemence look silly is one of my all time favourite memories (I recall being astonished at how high the ball went into the air after it the bar, but watching it back now it does something completely different. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I remember their opening game against Russia - they were losing 1-0 with 15 minutes left and then scored two amazing goals:

2 Likes

To a young kid (9) the mystique around Brazil was something else.

Why do they only have one name, etc? And not least the other-worldly football.

3 Likes

Indeed, although behind Spurs (9) and Utd & City (7)

Yes, the mystique was enhanced by the fact that most didn’t play in Europe so we weren’t familiar with them nor with that style of play.

1 Like

I watched the Italy v Sweden play off games. Italy were shite, they’re no loss whatsoever. Holland couldn’t even qualify for the 2016 Euros and lost out to Sweden and France in their WC group.

The 82 team was special, should have won that year. The only time we saw these players was the World Cup and they seemed to be playing a different game to the home nations.

Amazing.

2 Likes

Sinusoidal joy. It was a lovely dummy as well.

I bet you can’t wait for that to be beaten out of him when he gets back to training :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Just looking at my cassette collection I also saw The Cure play at the Edinburgh Odeon on 16th on the Faith Tour. I didn’t record their Glasgow show on 14th because my Saisho tape deck was fecked so Edinburgh was the first date I used a TCS 310. What a couple of weeks that was…

Eh?

Ahem - you forgot the 1 SPL player :grinning:

1 Like