The Milk Float Thread

Never gonna happen. Everyone will want you travel at the same times then the cars will be dormant until the next big rush. Maybe big cars for lots of people could work… :thinking:

Far better if fewer people ‘went’ to work at all

you mean a bus?

2 Likes

:wink:

What is it about disruptive tech companies that turns their fans into dickhead, one-eyed cultists? So much cringe.

9 Likes

I like the look of the Zoe. I like how many electric cars are designed to look quirky, not like cars. Mine looks like a car.

Not just tech companies in my experience, although that is where most self identification takes place.

Part of it is a the mindset that criticising any individual aspect of the company is an attack on the whole ethos, as if everything was indivisible and so not open for debate given the overall vision. Upshot: there is a very obvious divide between the evangelists who fit in and the scrutinisers who don’t.

Is this about Tesla? I kinda really want one except that the build seems potentially comedy. That’s not great if I’m spunking £35k of my own money.

Yes. I’m not getting one. Too many horror stories.

Charging network be damned. I’ll charge at home 90% of the time.

It seems to me a better choice to buy used, where you could actually check the build and the history. The charging network might be great, bit how much difference will it actually make?

(Answer: a lot more in 2022 than it does now…)

Doesn’t mention the panel gaps, misaligned driver’s door etc.

You had me worried with that.
But a few bits of plaggy and two issues Tesla will fix isn’t a huge deal. The boot design has come up a few times as it doesn’t shed water well when open.
Ours is full service lease so it’s never going to be a problem if they are opening a local centre.

I did note he loves the car and the ownership experience.

It seems to have the build quality of a typical American car, nothing worse than I have seen with the cars we owned over there.

I do wonder how well sales will continue in Europe as quality alternatives come along, like the Polestar 2. I’m sure sales will be fine in the states as the Tesla will probably continue to be the cheapest option there.

I suspect as volume kicks in and existing panels and stock are exhausted the models will eventually be refined and improve.
This is still early adopters stage really, with a long way to go.
I’m just excited by the thought of towns with no exhaust fumes and no car noise. I don’t really care about the issues that come with ownership at this stage of the transition.

Getting a bit frustrated at the wait!

1 Like

No I don’t think so. The vast majority of American built cars are horrific for body/paint/interior.

However, in their market they are usually a good deal cheaper than “imports”. A bit like Renault/Peugeot here vs BMW. They generally come with a very good warranty on the drive train too, so even if all the plastic falls off and the interior falls apart, they still turn on and get you where you are going.

2 Likes

This kind of thing can be so bad, some states have laws that cover it:

https://lemonlawexperts.com/out-of-state/florida-lemon-law/

You can legally declare a car a Lemon.

My concern re Tesla is that I want a car that will last me 15 years. I don’t really mind if some stuff doesn’t really line up perfectly, as long as it’s fully functional. I’m not concerned Tesla will be that, and I reckon it’ll be expensive to fix once out of warranty.

I think its still fairly early days for EVs. Any car has a good chance of developing a serious fault in 15 years/150,000 miles. Which is why the average age of a scrapped car is 14 years.

Given Tesla’s practice of not allowing 3rd parties to repair their cars, I can only see long term repairs/servicing being very high but who knows.

Strange…I hate both the front and the rear of the Model 3 but love the side/profile shape and window line…
…with the Polestar 2, it’s exactly the opposite - the front/back look great but from the side it looks like a mundane 4x4…