The Milk Float Thread

Leasing is just another device for car companies to shift units.

1 Like

Exactly. Leasing is just an enabling mechanism for consumerist behaviour.

1 Like

Leasing is great.

1 Like

I have excellent deals on door leases.

It makes a lot of sense to pay for something over the time that you get the benefit from it, and that is what leasing achieves. It’s just a financial transaction.

For @browellm

https://youtu.be/rEsqhY9TCt8

Not in it’s current form it doesn’t, with fixed term leases. The whole thing is structured as a sausage machine for delivering product to the masses in a frictionless way.

Presumably once the two years is up you will continue the lease on your car (or buy it).

Buying a car is also fairly easy if you have the cash. Are the masses not entitled to cars? Should you only be able to have one if you have plenty of cash? Stuff used to work that way, indeed you don’t have to go too far back for the time when you couldn’t get a personal mortgage, so couldn’t buy a house unless you had plenty of money. Times were a lot more unequal then.

I don’t know yet, it depends on the prevailing circumstances - whether I like the car enough, whether I can actually buy it, what other cars are available. My last car was owned for 15 years from new, so I’m not exactly a box swapper!

My point is leasing doesn’t stop the consumerist behaviour, it enables and perpetuates it. Which is the actual problem here.

You seem confused - on one hand you argue the masses should be entitled to cars, on the other you say that no-one should have cars. It’s be handy if you took a consistent position.

I guess we’ll see if you practice what you preach in two years. :wink:

On the basis that car-as-service is not available, I fail to see any confusion. Leasing is a move away from ownership, which is no bad thing in my view, although I recognise that it is often used as a mechanism to push consumerism, which I’m no fan of.

What am I preaching again?

I was going to buy a car to replace the old one, but comments here as much as anything persuaded me to lease rather than commit a lot of money into a newish market. I will take as boringly pragmatic a view in two years when the lease is up.

At the risk of repeating myself… leasing in it’s current form is not a move away from ownership in any meaningful way and perpetuates and enables consumerist behaviour. It’s designed to.

I’ve watched them all :smile:

Love Mat Watson though.

Ordered yet? It’s shiny. You wants it.

Never gonna happen. Everyone will want you travel at the same times then the cars will be dormant until the next big rush. Maybe big cars for lots of people could work… :thinking:

Far better if fewer people ‘went’ to work at all

you mean a bus?

2 Likes

:wink:

What is it about disruptive tech companies that turns their fans into dickhead, one-eyed cultists? So much cringe.

9 Likes