The Milk Float Thread

Is that one of this chap’s many quotes? :smile:

In what way does it irritate you Adam? I love my i3 and just wonder why I didn’t buy one earlier,:thinking:

It’s not the EV-ness, it’s the Hyundai things:

  • Start car, loads of fucking bings and bongs. Stupid fucking tunes.
  • Random delay before you can press “confirm” on the centre display and actually get going.
  • Satnav totally useless, I’m back to Google maps on the phone.
  • “Nearest charger display” beyond useless, I think it’s there to troll me. It points in I think compass direction, and actively seems to favour showing me 16A chargers or those that don’t exist. Never EVER directs you to a rapid charger. Doesn’t show whether they are available or not.
  • Have to press buttons for sport mode and to disable lane keep assist every single time I start it.
  • Cannot disable Android Auto, so I can’t use the built-in USB charger.
  • Seats not very comfortable.
  • Various useful display things are not present, such as instantaneous miles/kWh.
  • Now that the aux battery has failed once I’m slightly paranoid that it’ll happen again. No excuse for this.
  • Rear view - there’s a spoiler in the middle of the back window that is rather annoying, but tbh worse is the fact that the rear view mirror is slightly higher than the rear window, so you can’t see into the distance.
  • Centre console is all touch screens, which means you have to look at it to make sure you’re pressing the right thing.

There are some EV things about it that I don’t like:

  • Throttle response is slightly quirky, it’s not always that smooth. Obviously it’s drive-by-wire, and sometimes it seems that the computer controlling it is not totally responsive.
  • EV charging is too slow, it damps down the charging speed too much. I want it to be able to charge at 50+kW to 80% like the previous model did.
  • Just slightly more power would be nice, they have dialled down the power at low speeds especially I think.

There are lots of things that I do really like:

  • Efficiency, it gets a lot more range than your i3 despite having the same size battery.
  • Size - it’s a genuine family car, with enough space in the back seats for a lanky teenager and in the boot for the dog and the sundry cables you need.
  • Automatic lights and wipers, cruise control etc are totally reliable and work really well.
  • Remote app is great for checking status.

Ultimately it gives me the impression that the designers haven’t really used it as a daily driver, they just had a tick box of items it needs to have. It’s often annoying in operation, and when I have range issues I just want it to be able to tell me where the nearest available rapid charger (preferably on a preferred network) is that I can get to. I don’t want to have to pull over and get Zapmap on my phone.

Would I buy one? Do I regret getting this? Probably no to both. It’s about the only option that works for me - I don’t like SUVs, but need more space than the i3, Zoe and Leaf have in the back seat, and I’m not sure I can justify the cost of a Tesla yet. Getting this on a lease has been great overall.

When the lease runs out in 2022 I’ll have a good think about what to get. If the price of these is sub £20k then I might buy one, although a Tesla 3 or Y is really appealing - the ability to charge at 170kW is just fantastic. Getting this has made me realise what is important for me and how we use the car.

3 Likes

Could you elaborate? :smiley: That’s quite a list. I like my i3 and it has loads of range for my daily use, it has rapid charge plus the range extender for the occasional longer journey. Overall I really like it. The rear seats have never been occupied, although I have sat in there and found them to be far roomier than they look. The only thing that I am not keen on is the I drive but you get that on any BMW.

IME of Hyundai it sounds to me typical of Hyundai, designed and built down to a particular (low) price…

Warning bongs are hard to avoid on any new car these days. I’m periodically caught out with mine by moving the shift level out of Park too quickly when starting the car, causing it to turn off and sulk until I replace the lever in park. It’s part of the fringe appeal of modding something old to an electric drive train because it would avoid some of the nannying.

SAAB 900 convertible with a model 3 power train… mmmmmm

It’s always horses for courses; since I can’t charge at home, I need the range or I’ll be charging it every couple of days. That’s why I can’t get a plugin hybrid - it would need daily charging.

Ultimately the Hyundai has a lot going for it. It doesn’t strike me as built down to a price, I personally don’t see £30k as being a cheap car, and the interior is fairly decent (and made with very ‘green’ materials). The annoyances are not down to penny pinching, they are deliberate decision that the car should be that way.

1 Like

Yes, I forgot you couldn’t home charge, that must be a real pain.

It’s only about once a week. The public chargers here are ok, you get four hours’ free parking at several within easy walking distance.

I’ve only ever charged once at a public charger.

I’m a bit concerned about what things will be like in a couple of years. There are a lot of houses here that don’t have off street parking, and if many more people get EVs it could very quickly become a problem. One of the reasons I may get a Tesla is that there is a supercharger less than five miles away, which mostly removes this issue.

I have written to the council and suggested that they install chargers at the local leisure centre, which is also at the main park in town. It’s a great site, and the councillors thought it was a great idea. What are my chances? :rofl:

1 Like

:grin:

I’m not sure you can just drive up to a supercharger?
The stuff I have read talks about the car taking an hour to condition for use, so you plan it in to a long trip. Never used one.

We rocked up in Bakewell today to use a 7kw BP one (one minute to download the app on the spot) and it refused to identify the charger number.
Quick call to CS and the operator connected us remotely and treated us to a free charge. Parking would have cost more whatever!

How many tarts did you eat in the time it took to charge? :smiley:

1 Like

The thing about these is their ease of use. You just drive up and plug in your car. As long as you have registered stuff with Tesla, you just plug in and it works it all out (and charges your credit card).

There are some public chargers that are contactless credit card, but most require you to have an app, which is faff. The contactless ones tend to be more expensive (as in three times the price).

Of course in the future, all charging will be drive-by contactless - from power transmitters along the side of the road. Judging by the progress made since 1968 (see above) this will happen in about 200 years time. :laughing:

1 Like

Half a large one. Six quid each! Sickly.

I was talking about the preconditioning the car does before a supercharge. Not sure if it’s essential, or just helps. The battery needs to be quite warm to accept the charge at that rate. That car usually plans it in to the trip to get there.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that shoving over a hundred kilowatts into it will warm it up fairly quickly

2 Likes

Is that where you say three Hail Elons?

2 Likes