The Milk Float Thread

Bag of potatoes, few bits of scrap zinc and copper…

1 Like

Maybe a kite in a thunderstorm

1 Like
1 Like

Have to take exception to this as the huge Lexus 4x4 hybrid I had was more economical than the equivalent derv merc / bmw of it’s time, quicker off the line and less likely to cause a wallet implosion.
I was averaging around 30mpg and would get 40+ on motorway journeys.
Not bad for something of that ilk.

I stand corrected. Still didn’t deserve zero congestion charge but less evil than I expected

1 Like

Still a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Tesla battery day - model s gets ‘plaid’ drivetrain with 520 mile range for 140k. New battery design means they are shooting for a 25k car (i’m guessing model 3).
Also working to eliminate cobalt in their batteries.

I still really want a cyber truck

1 Like

He warned in advance this was a 3 year away declaration.
But they always miss targets.
What I liked about the whole thing was the aspiration. If he even gets close to the goals an EV will be cheap, and Tesla will be incredibly efficient at huge volume.

It’s clear he wants help and isn’t afraid to ask. The next 3 years should determine whether this all looks realistic.
The new S looks amazing but is definitely in the footballer bracket!
The battery is about a third of the car cost currently, and they have a way to do to make ICE parity.

( Some researchers estimate that price parity, or the point at which electric vehicles are equal in value to internal combustion cars, is reached when battery packs cost $100 per kilowatt hour (kWh).

Tesla’s battery packs cost $156 per kWh in 2019, according to electric vehicle consulting firm Cairn Energy Research Advisors, which would put the cost of a 90-kWh pack at around $14,000.)

The most recent estimates from Forbes have narrowed down Tesla’s most likely cost at $127 per kWh.

Interesting albeit well rehearsed point of view from Monbiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcy2HgTjCA

3 Likes

So, in 1968 they were saying that there would be a breakthrough in battery technology…in, wait for it - 2 - 2.5 years :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

It’s quicker than nuclear fusion then :rofl:

1 Like

Tesla know what they need to do. They know how to do it.

What they don’t know is how much it will cost to get there and how quickly they can finalise the machines needed to build the machines that will make the batteries.

It’s less how, more how “much”.

They have also got to keep building and they it’s crazy the expansion happening already. They aim to be the best manufacturer, and I think they will do it. It’s going to cost a bloody fortune, but If it works it will monopolise the vehicle market and change the whole transport dynamic.

Monbiot is great value, and tbh here I think he’s mostly right. The amount of space that cars take up is simply obscene, I now see it as litter on the road most of the time. Rethinking our living spaces is really important.

That said, everyone’s solution is different. I really like living a five minute walk from the centre of a pleasant middle class town, but the English dream seems to be to have a mansion in the country, preferably with walls all round and shotguns to hand. There is no one size fits all Nirvana.

Fuck off Elon.

4 Likes

Ninja edit.

It’s just too difficult to explain. Summary: too many people. The rest is just pissing in the wind.

Elonrant becomes longer everyday

I never knew buying a car would have this phenomenon

In his defence, I am a total convert to the whole milk float thing, it just seems so right as a concept. If I had a car that actually managed not to deeply irritate me every 30 seconds then I think I might become a fanboy as well.

1 Like

I bet you do :rofl: