The Milk Float Thread

The one thing that I would like that mine doesn’t have is 100+kW charging. The range on mine is sufficient, but what I’d like is to be able to plug in, go get a coffee, drink the coffee and get 25kWh of juice in that 15 minutes. Sure faster would be better, but I think that 100kW is enough.

The MG, 4 or 5 facelift, look like decent prospects.

I wonder how much cooling effect the current energy prices are having on EV orders.

The price of the new mg4 is getting down towards regular hatch back money, I reckon they’ll have a full order book. The very fast charging and 250+ miles would be enough for me to ditch our ice Civic.

BP Pulse is now about 50p per kWh. Assuming 5 miles per kWh, it’s 10p per mile. That’s getting very close to wet fuel prices. Home pricing will be the same, about 52p per kWh, Oct-Dec, and higher next year.

It’s easy to argue that the “right” thing to do would be to tax fuel a lot more - duty has been frozen for years now. But it ain’t gonna happen.

Also, there is no “tax buffer” with electricity, a 50% rise is just that, whereas with petrol a 50% rise in oil prices isn’t such a big increase at the pumps.

While a new EV in a year would be nice, running an old banger for a while might make sound financial sense.

They’re way more expensive than that now.

AC Charger 7kW AC 43kW/DC 50kW 150kW+
Subscriber/Full Member £0.44/kWh £0.52/kWh £0.55/kWh
Registered User £0.55/kWh £0.63/kWh £0.67/kWh
Contactless £0.65/kWh £0.69/kWh

My diseasel Golf does 16p/mile (60mpg) on a run and that’s at today’s, inflated, prices. Doesn’t seem that sensible economically if I have to buy a new car as well.

Blimey, the inconvenience of charging away from home is not being offset by those prices. I can get 55mpg from our honda (on a run) which is very similar money.

Makes the 7.5p/kW I’m paying Octopus for their latest Go tariff look almost too good to be true.

1 Like

This. Luckily, I’m locked in until April next year.

yeah, I’m locked to next August. Running the dishwasher over night in the 4 hour window aswell.

2 Likes

So do we, and the washing machine.

1 Like

Fortunately much of the point of us buying an EV was that we do lots of short runs to school etc - that’s where ICE cars are at their worst, and most polluting.

In your case, where you never do less than about 5 miles, diesel is possibly the right choice even if you don’t factor in the high cost of purchase of an EV.

1 Like

Just needs more ‘good’ electricity.
Will take time, guess we’ll get there one day.

It’s quite worrying seeing businesses being quoted 90p+ per unit. If we see those prices, it’ll be really uneconomic having an EV.

That said, it’s still free to charge at the station, and all day parking is £3. No prizes for guessing where my car is right now!

http://www.evalbum.com/5368

2 Likes

Average Joe manages to make some serious savings on fuel costs, big business ain’t having that, they still want same wallet share or greater from an average punter. Now it’s just as expensive to charge your car is it is to fill it with fossil fuels. Electric vehicles are still in the vast minority yet the gouging is starting already. It’s putting me right off my commitment to going full EV when my company lease is up at the end of the year.

Given the increasing cost of energy, if you had the roof space/area and enough funds to buy the pv panels and batteries, would it be possible to generate/store sufficient energy to power an EV completely off grid - say 7k miles per year?

Yes

1 Like

Only in summer. Our 5kWp system generated 162kWh in January which is only enough to get a car about 450-500 miles excluding anything like actually running a house.

I suppose the next question then is (for all of the AA EV mathematicians) how much roof space and battery capacity…oh and a ballpark cost?

Depends on size of roof, trees shading etc.
Eon still do the panels and battery as an interest free option.

For enough panels and a decent size battery I’m going to guess 10-12k.

As above though, in winter realistically you will be pulling grid power, summer time probably exporting power. Doesn’t really make sense to have it off grid because of this.

So then add another 4-5k get more batteries and then charge the batteries with a cheap over night rate and run the car and house when their isn’t enough light.

I would go with more than that at the moment, a Powerwall is going to be more like 8-9k on its own when you can get one (currently end of 2023).