The Milk Float Thread

Went in a Nissan Leaf taxi yesterday and genuine question - are they really supposed to be so noisy inside, or was this one proper shagged?

It sounded like both rear wheel bearings were completely knackered.

The driver had clearly engaged the ā€˜Trad Brit Interiorā€™ mode to make you feel at home because the last one I went in (which was brand new admittedly) was borderline silent.

If thatā€™s the case, then the mode needs work. There was no fake wood, nothing rattled and nothing fell off during the journey.,

Itā€™s no Range Rover

4 Likes

Think itā€™s a 75kW battery.

Americans talk about it being a quarter the price to run in terms of fuel, and their petrol is much cheaper than ours. If you do quite a few short runs, as I do, then it would be a huge saving.

How long is the warranty on a Tesla?

Until it explodes or catches on fire :+1:

1 Like

6 months then? :rofl:

1 Like

Do it.

2 Likes

Shit, thereā€™s one in our car park at the momentā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s a common occurrence, but thereā€™s a surprising number of vids on the webā€¦:thinking:

Still in one piece thankfully.

I have seen the future and it looks like a Honda Insight.

2 Likes

Inspired by @browellm and helped by a Ā£1k bill to fix the car this year, I have decided to buy an electric car. Iā€™ll probably get it within 1-2 years, so I (a) get value from these repairs and (b) can wait for the new models to depreciate.

I want real range of 150 miles - I travel to Claireā€™s folks (150 miles), mine (100 or 130), and I want to be able to travel on holiday up to about 250 miles with only one stop. In practice weā€™re happy to stop for half an hour even on the 130-150 mile journeys.

Furthermore I need it to carry around growing children, a dog and luggage for holidays.

The choice, however, isnā€™t great. As far as I can see, the only vehicles that comply with my requirements are the Hyundai Ioniq (2019 model, just coming out now) and a Tesla.

So in a yearā€™s time I get to choose between a one year-old Ioniq, which will be just over Ā£20k, a 5 year-old Tesla Model S at Ā£30k, new Model 3 (Ā£34k) and a one year-old Model 3 at what, Ā£27k?

Iā€™ve run a spreadsheet; the Ioniq will cost about the same to run as my Mazda (Iā€™m assuming Iā€™ll keep it until itā€™s 15 years old, as I have this one), and a one year-old Model 3 just slightly more. A new Model 3 is about 20% more - that first year is expensive!

I also ran the Nissan Leaf through the calcs. They useless as the battery hire on old models and, in my case, the need to hire a car for holidays make them really expensive (more than a new Tesla Model 3!)

I was also interested to note that the free supercharging on an old Tesla doesnā€™t make much difference. The cost of electricity is not much when you only do 8,000 miles.

Are there any other family-sized electric cars coming out?

One thing Iā€™ve discovered is massively in Teslaā€™s favour is the charging network. It way, way better than the other manufacturersā€™ efforts.

There are also e-Golfs and stuff coming out. Have you looked at the BMW i3?

I donā€™t think youā€™ll get 30% depreciation on a one year old Model 3, btw. The base model is Ā£38.5k

Obvious question: how often do you need the longer (100 mile plus) range? Could a plug in hybrid do 99% of the job on battery?

Yeah and I have a supercharger nearby, although they are twice the price of a closer fast charger.

Youā€™re right on the price, I had 34 not 38.5. Maybe I need to wait for two years if I want a model 3.

@MrKettle I thought about a plug-in hybrid. Most of my mileage is quite short: 2-5 mile trips. However, a 20-30 mile range hybrid would have to be charged too often for me. I donā€™t have facility to charge at home, so would be reliant on commercial facilities. That works if itā€™s once a fortnight or so and thereā€™s a 50kW charger near somewhere I can walk the dog (there is), but it doesnā€™t work if I have to do this every 2-3 days.

Impressive, but less so because the cars are completely tricked out.

that is just cock waving