The Milk Float Thread

If EV cars are going to subject to VED what about the £355 surcharge for cars valued more than £40k

That would be a large % of EV cars these days.

I suspect EV drivers will become a bit grouchy about it.

The only logical way to tax vehicles really is through fuel since more fuel = more road use and more pollution but far too unpopular with gammons so it didn’t work last time.
Not easy to see the most logical levy on EVs since whilst they tend to be heavy the mysteriously popular SUV fashion has lead to a big increase in the average weight of all private vehicles. Having the VED weight based would be logical but probably unpopular too :slight_smile:

Instead of shitting up yet another thread with bad photoshops of politicians, we could post what’s actually happening:

5.34 VED on Electric Vehicles (VED) - From April 2025, electric cars, vans and motorcycles will begin to pay VED in the same way as petrol and diesel vehicles. This will ensure that all road users begin to pay a fair tax contribution as the take up of electric vehicles continues to accelerate. The government will legislate for this measure in Autumn Finance Bill 2022. This means:
• new zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will be liable to pay the lowest first year rate of VED (which applies to vehicles with CO2 emissions 1 to 50g/km) currently £10 a year. From the second year of registration onwards, they will move to the standard rate, currently £165 a year
• zero emission cars first registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025 will also pay the standard rate
• the Expensive Car Supplement exemption for electric vehicles is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement. The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for 5 years
• zero and low emission cars first registered between 1 March 2001 and 30 March 2017 currently in Band A will move to the Band B rate, currently £20 a year
• zero emission vans will move to the rate for petrol and diesel light goods vehicles, currently £290 a year for most vans
• zero emission motorcycles and tricycles will move to the rate for the smallest engine size, currently £22 a year • rates for Alternative Fuel Vehicles and hybrids will also be equalised
(From https://assets.publishing.service.g…tatement_November_2022_Web_accessible__1_.pdf)

1 Like

By the way, this little nugget didn’t make into Hunt’s speech. Funny, that.

Just a small omission then!

I’m going to have to start going to Lerwick on the bus!

Evens what out nicely?

EVs need taxing properly so they pay their way without creating a deficit, new ICE cars should have a higher tax burden than EVs to encourage people to change if that is desired.

Looks like things are moving in this direction which is good imo.

1 Like

The whole ‘make the wrong thing more expensive’ pisses me off to be honest. (Almost) Nobody driving a 10 year old diesel Mondeo with knackered bits does it through choice, but instead of making it economic for them to change it we punish them.

Big heavy cars with any power plant should be discouraged though. By definition they use more resources to build and operate and do more damage to the roads.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

Any time

Sorry, are we charging by the kilogram now? I’m a bit lost having had a wine.

4 Likes

I’m fucked.

4 Likes
1 Like

Wank.

1 Like

Thought it would be a fine Christmas present for @browellm.

1 Like

Successfully charged at Keele Services today. Things are looking up.

2 Likes

Mods please move to carparkcunt thread

5 Likes

I’ll reverse over the bollard next time

1 Like

It’s worth following these chaps for the best Bollard action.

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard?s=20&t=J-wqYZC6ADRpNXpQz0YVkQ

1 Like