The Milk Float Thread

My PHEV Prius has averaged around 140 mpg for the last 5 years but we only do about 10 250-600 mile trips per year and most trips around home use electric for all or most of the journey.
In the Taycan I have charged away from home on 2 days since I got it, usually just at home is enough, though no longer all that cheap.

12p per KWH ?

Got news on Friday that my ev6 that I ordered way back in 2022 and due June/July this year , should be with me in 2 weeks.

Better get that charger ordered and installed sharpish. Going to install a hypervolt , looks easy enough

11 Likes

Great news John. Been getting rave reviews so you must be pretty excited.

I am , the wife is a little dubious. Getting this early allows the convince to happen before we go to Europe

1 Like

Nice, it looks lovely and the super fast charging is a real boon for travelling distances.

The kids are more excited TBF , the amount of comfortable space in the back seats is immense and cubby holes etc for wine stash is a bonus too!

The fast super chargers seem to be popping up everywhere , the local supermarket in France now has 8 and so far being used very little from what I can see.

Still want a car that I don’t have to actually drive

1 Like

Yeah my kids are both excited as well, I guess they love being chauffered around!

I think that the Kia and Hyundai are both more comfortable than the Tesla, they’re great cars. Mine can fart at the kids though.

Some people don’t need the car to do that.

My director did that to me last week in his Tesla Y. .says it all really

I don;’t think it has been that low for a long time on our domestic tariff but the convenience of hardly ever going to a petrol station has been a big attraction.
In pure hybrid mode, once the charge is used up, I get about 62mpg on the motorway and around 75mpg on normal roads/towns, so even when not using home charging it is very economical.
Mind you the Porsche EV is far more expensive to run - 600kg heavier, all battery, vast tyres so much more drag and a much higher output heater, so loads of power used keeping passengers in luxury (and heating the 600kg battery in winter).

We pay 12p cheap rate with Octopus.

I looked at cheaper night rates but certainly with the Prius the cheap rate got nowhere near compensating for how much more expensive everything is all day, since we are retired and at home.
I am considering the Ovo variable rate thing but their web site recommends waiting at the moment.
Even at the current rate a fair bit cheaper than petrol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you got the roof capacity for solar?

We have had a ~3.25 kW solar system for about 10 years. Any excess is directed to hot water but I don tend to plug in a car charger when it is sunny.

Are you on Go? We’re paying 7.5p over night for 4 hrs.

Yes, I think it’s 12p, I’ll check.

Depends when you renewed, last few months it has gone to 12p from 7.5p.

3 Likes

Ours updates in April. Been told it goes from 7.5p to 12p but for 5 hours, which is OK.