The Milk Float Thread

1 Like

Fuck me, I had to adblock that flashing monstrosity :smiley:

While itā€™s American, itā€™s an interesting take. The issue around running costs of an EV is depreciation, and itā€™s slightly complicated. People are concerned that the battery might only last about 8 years, so buying a 3-4 year old model is a bit worrying. Some of the manufacturers have charged a lot of money (like almost the same as the full RRP of the car) for a new battery in the past. I think those days are over, but itā€™s certainly something Iā€™d be asking about.

Iā€™m kinda glad Iā€™m not buying with my own cash at the moment.

Iā€™d expect the UK to be quite different. Other than Tesla which they exclude, things like the leaf are never going to sell that well in the states.

My wife works in the vehicle recovery business, mostly with the Police. They recently had a briefing from some regional West Mids senior cop on the risks and precautions required for handling, storage etc of damaged/ recovered EVs. It has entirely put her off owning one for the time being. She is also not convinced by battery life and the ongoing serviceability of EVs and their lifespan vs carbon impact.

Servicing should be easier. The drive train is a very mature technology.

Batteries seem to be lasting well, Tesla packs have 90% capacity after 160,000 miles and are expected to last 300-500,000 miles.

In most cases they offset the extra carbon production cost in 6-8 years. Plus they donā€™t spew particulates everywhere.

Iā€™m happy leasing one for now but Iā€™d have no concerns buying a Tesla if I could afford to.

My biggest concern is the charging infrastructure just seems a complete mess.

Not for the staff and centre handling a damaged vehicle with potential damage to the batteries according to this WM Police expert.

You mean just as they reach the end of their useable life?

Interesting perspective on particulates here from Prof of Environmental Sciences at Uni of Bham -

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/electric-vehicles-and-particulates/

Thatā€™s about half their usable life.

And yes modem ice cars are very clean, my assumption was currently when someone buys an ev itā€™s replacing an older less clean vehicle. And over itā€™s lifespan still has a lower carbon foot print.

Thatā€™s not servicing.

I started off by highlighting risks and extra costs of precautions for repair, which is what I meant sorry. You introduced servicing in response which I agree should be more straightforward.

Thereā€™s still a lot of debate about useable life, hence you used the word ā€˜expectedā€™ in quoting 300-500,000 miles?

As you can probably tell, Iā€™m a lot less convinced than you are!

You said ongoing serviceability. Repair itā€™s early days but modern cars a bit shit for that anyway.

Expected because itā€™s very variable on use/climate. We are still a few years away but thereā€™s nothing obviously end of life about the 2012-2014 Teslaā€™s. Maybe next year they will all catastrophically fail.

2 Likes

Now, I sort of hate that, but sort of like it too. :thinking:

1 Like

I have watched Bladerunner enough times that I canā€™t help wanting it.

2 Likes

Oh yes!

Next year? - itā€™s already happeningā€¦ :flushed:

Well, I meant them all.

I reckon Musk is a Bond villain.

Via the boring company and Space x the rich can hide in bunkers or off world.

The rest of us will be mowed down and blown up by autonomous Teslas.

1 Like

Search and Destroy mode, sure to be coming soon.

Itā€™s already there.

ā€¦ waiting.

1 Like

3 Likes

I read an interesting article in the FT this morning (which is now behind a pay wall so canā€™t link to it).
It suggested that buying any type of new car now is a financial mistake, be it ICE, Hybrid, or EV. Better bet is buying a not too new (or too old) used petrol car and wating 5 years.
Thus avoiding early adopter pitfalls with EVs and not dumping big money in soon to be obsolete IEC cars that will have restrictions on where you can drive / more tax and raid devaluation.

I genuinely want to move to full electric for commuting, but I do see alot of sense in keeping my perfectly serviceable petrol Honda for 3-5 years while the market and policy has time to adjust.

1 Like