The Milk Float Thread

What the car draws to what a house draws is miles apart. So ex car batteries double their life by going in to a house.
You already you have 10-30 years life on the batteries with this system. By then the tech will hopefully be at a level to recycle them more thoroughly.
If not that can be recycled again to power pre amps

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s really the best hope, that recycling can keep up. Re-use certainly helps, but what happens when the supply of used batteries outstrips demand because everyone who wants one has one? There are likely to be a lot of electric cars being made and then scrapped in the relatively near future and will continue to rise.

Converting my Matra will be really cheap! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

They get cheaper, and then people in the third world have a power wall as well, giving them plentiful cheap energy from their solar cells. In my ideal world!

Ultimately I get that it is a potential problem, but there are a lot of potential solutions. Climate change is a definite problem, as is city pollution, and we need to accept the solutions. Using oil and dumping the CO2 and NOx into the atmosphere is definitely a shit idea.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, with real economics and politicsā€¦

Of course.

Potential solutions arenā€™t solutions.

Reality is we need to stop owning cars. Transport pods or rental vehicles that get summoned through an app. Like an advanced version of all these cities with electric scooters.

That will reduce car numbers, battery usage, etc

3 Likes

I actually see cars as almost litter on our streets. If we didnā€™t have them there would be so much more space and towns and cities would be much more attractive. I do look forward to simply summoning them and they whizz me to where I want to go. Preferably flying.

Yep consumption rates on a whole range of stuff need to go down dramatically including cars and air travel but a whole host of other stuff taken for granted.

The car industry at the moment are trying to suggest that the answer is ā€˜buy a cleaner car from usā€™ when as you say the real answer is likely to be not owning a car, and other methods to negate the need for unnecessary travel in the first place etc.

2 Likes

Although it is a solution that relies on densely packed urban populations, which has proved to have some disadvantages in the last few months.

Need to get off the three year lease/PCP merry-go-round which encourages people to change their cars way too often.

But capitalism.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had my car 7 years from brand new. Itā€™s been utterly faultless and would probablu go another 5 without even blinking, costing me buttons.

But THE WANTS. THE WANTS IS SO BAD. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s the root of our climate problem right there! We are all addicted to ever increasing want.

Yeah Jonny two-sheds, youā€™re right.

4 Likes

As long as the cars are sold on and used for their reasonable life, surely this is a financial issue rather than environmental?

And thereā€™s the problemā€¦

Not going to see your utopia of cars as a service, rather than ownership, if this behaviour continues to be enabled.

1 Like

Johnny if you donā€™t mind.

Which is a different issue entirely.

And leasing is arguably a step closer to cars as service rather than ownership, albeit a rather small one!

Thatā€™s the bit I look forward to most when buying a new car.
My car is 4yrs old now with 35k. I hope for 5+ yrs of little to no expense beyond standard running costs.

2 Likes

It isnā€™t and it isnā€™t.

1 Like