The Reading Room

Wife picked up a hefty book of PKD short stories for me when she was at the library with the kids :+1: ā€œPaycheckā€

1 Like

Just started this. Cheery reading, I expect :+1:

Slow Motion Ghosts.

Iā€™m really pleased Jeff Noon has started to emerge from a period of quietness.
I wasnā€™t entirely convinced the last book was a return to full form, but we will see when this is released in a few months time.

3 Likes

@spacehopper read this?

1 Like

I havenā€™t Neil - Iā€™m overloaded with books to read at the moā€™. Any good ?

Yeah, definitely worth a read. Iā€™m the same- pinched a pile of Vonnegut books (some to re-read) last time I was at my parents and I had a pile already. I finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch at the weekend :+1: Iā€™ve never actually read Man In The High Castle so I think that will be my next PKD.

The Man In The High Castle is a superb read once youā€™ve worked your way through the Vonnegutstuff Iā€™ll loan you my Harlan Ellison stuff. Have you read any JG Ballardsā€™ stuff ?

Yes, ages ago- there were a number of short story collections in my parents stash- but I couldnā€™t tell you what.

I do like the bleakness of Ballardā€™s writing.

Possibly my favourite is The Unlimited Dream Company.

I intend to read his short stories. They have recently been published in two very fat volumes.

Same here and I love his ability to create strangeness from the familiar. Iā€™ll send you my copy of TUDC if you donā€™t have it as itā€™s my least favourite of his.

My two favourite short story collections are The Terminal Beach and Vermillion Sands was also very lucky to have picked up a signed copy of The Day Of Creation by pure luck :+1:

Thanks, I still have my copy of TUDC. Just ordered the two volumes of short stories too :+1:

1 Like

I love Richard Laymon - shame heā€™s no longer with usā€¦

41d-UeugCGL

Another one added to the growing pileā€¦

Started this, after finishing

1 Like

1 Like

Just finished

Just started

1 Like

These turned up from Amazon while we were out today.

Am a bit confused because I only ordered them late-ish last night whilst pissed, and I donā€™t have Prime. But hey, gift horses and all that.

In three weeks youā€™ll realize you didnā€™t notice that you did ā€¦

1 Like