The Reading Room

Just finished Annihilation, Book 1 in this trilogy. Very good read. In fact, I only started it this morning :grinning:

Going to pick up the next two asap.

Found this in a charity shop the other day for 20p:

Read it in one go this morning. Didnā€™t realise how different from the film it is.

2 Likes

Very, but probably more relevant/predictive in some ways.

1 Like

Heā€™s a brilliant author - some of his books are tremendous and some are a total mind-fuck A Scanner Darkly is mental. :+1:

3 Likes

@Rob998

These three are superb

3 Likes

Cheers for that, Iā€™ll seek them out.

I had a decent collection of classic Sci-Fi a few years ago and tried to find the best paperback editions as they have some superb artwork on the covers but had to sell most of it when I got divorced :rage:

However, I couldnā€™t bear to part with my Harlan Ellison short story collections so if you come across any of his stuff buy them - failing that I can lend you them I think youā€™d like him as well.

1 Like

Those are the ones that started me on PKD. Thereā€™s another two volumes of short stories, too. I spent my uni days hunting down his novels (some were quite hard to find at the time). The best science fiction author bar none.

4 Likes

This is very, very weird.

VB

2 Likes

It is. That, Valis, and A Scanner Darkly nearly made my head explode.

3 Likes

Cheers Coco - I meant to amend my post to include the other two volumes but got sidetracked.

This is also up there with his best imo

2 Likes

These three are fucking bonkers. I think he was losing touch with reality when he wrote them.

1 Like

To be honest I donā€™t think my reason for reading Philip K Dick was the steadfastness of his grip on reality. In fact, come to think of it, it was probably the exact opposite.

VB

He did like his acid :crazy_face:

Youā€™re not the only one :scream_cat:

@MGOwner

2 Likes

Oooh nice :+1:

Reading Ubik :+1: and ordered The Three Stigmataā€¦

2 Likes

Enjoyed Ubik a lot :+1: Re-reading VALIS. Trying to locate my copy of Flow My Tears The Policeman Said

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just discovered I have two copies of this so if anyone fancies a copy let me know and Iā€™ll stick it in the post. :+1: