The shit that does merit its own thread

Basically the 21 century version of your agent getting you a gig to open a new branch of Victor Value or Top Rank Bingo.

Probably had his WhatsApp or Instagram account hacked. They’re demanding crypto promo vids to unlock it

BBC News - Carlow body: Inquiry after ‘dead man’ brought into post office

3 Likes

Only in Ireland :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Can you sign here please!?
Errrr arrrghhh
Yer from Cork then?!?!

2 Likes

That’ll be a Sligo accent you are looking for…

2 Likes

Highway code changes to give priority to cyclists at roundabouts allowing them to stay in the outside lane and go all the way round as long as they indicate right. Similar to the Dutch system except over there pretty much every roundabout had a cycle lane and they don’t indicate.

No issue with individual cyclists (well except when they don’t use the cycle lanes and ride on the dual carriageway), but the clubs…… just fuck off please, 15 or so of you in your ‘peloton’ riding up the main road in the village, ignoring everyone and going just fast enough that you’re practically impossible to pass, is just ignorant.

The Highway Code might put the cyclist ‘in the right’ but speaking as someone who a) has just started cycling again and b) last year drove (inadvertently and wrongly - mea culpa) past an exit in the outside lane of a roundabout, and immediately had the nose of one of these

reshaping my driver’s side door and front wing, I think he’d have to be bloody brave to try it.

It’s certainly going to need a huge public info exercise, I suspect zero budget had been set aside for that. Once a few car drivers have been fined and or jailed for dangerous driving/causing death I’m sure the knucklegraggers will get the message…😮‍💨

Given the total failure to police mobile phone usage whilst driving out of popularity, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Dear cyclists are a bit more obvious👌

Not just at roundabouts, there is whole new section in the Highway Code that talks about the hierarchy of road users where the most vunerable have priority in all sorts of circumstances.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2022/01/new-2022-highway-code-changes-are-you-aware-of-the-new-rules/

I only found out about this a few days ago by accident, you would have thought there would have been some sort of public information campaign? Or if there was then I have missed it.

I see what you did there :+1:.

1 Like

Where are the votes ? Is this big enough to hide something behind ?

Apparently the new highwy code instructs cyclists to drive in the middle of the lane rather than keeping to the left. My joy is unconfined at this development. :rage:

Cyclists are also now instructed to ride in the centre of the lane in slower moving traffic, “on quiet roads or streets, moving over to the left if a faster vehicle comes up behind them, but only if they can do so safely” and “at the approach to junctions or where the road narrows, where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake them”.

I don’t think that the rule about giving cyclists a full lane’s width of clearance when we overtake them is new is it ? I thought we were always supposed to treat them as if they were as wide as another car. They need plenty of width to dodge the worst of the things they come across on today’s potholed and patched roads.

The sad fact is that gutters are also swept a lot less often than they used to be, so riding close to them risks skidding on the loose rubbish there, or puncturing a tyre with glass. And, of course, the road surface damage tends to be concentrated in vehicles’ wheel tracks. So the centre of the lane may well be where the risk of coming across it is least.

Anyone who rides understands why bikes are out in the road.
And they don’t use cycle paths as they are usually under trees, or never cleaned, and even worse for crap on the ground.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the law previously specified 1.5m clearance. I think it was perhaps a little more vague. What’s definitely new is cyclists being instructed to ride in the centre of the lane.

There’s a dreadful example of that on a route I regularly use. It runs alongside an ordinary pedestrian pavement on one of the town’s busier roads. As well as having trees (so wet leaf mulch and big patches of moss) it also snakes from left to right with unpredictable banking as if it had been designed deliberately to fetch you off. As far as I can tell, the pedestrians quite like its ‘woodland’ feel and use it more than they do the pavement. All but the slowest cyclists use the dead straight and relatively clean pavement. The council just need to swap the signs round.

2 Likes