The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

This is so true.

It’s a sad and solitary existence.

My willy is bigger than all the willies put together :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Call that a Ping ?

Pffft !

Tidal wave of Santa’s sac jokes imminent…:fearful:

I’m on VM vivid 400 as well and regularly get 400 down. Although I’d be content with 200 down and much more than 21 or 22 up

If only i knew what it all meant

and you still can’t see it :rofl:

3 Likes

True :cry:

3 Likes

no but with his broadband he can wave it at you in ultra hd 4k oled qled resolution

1 Like

Good point, well made.

You know when you move to the middle of nowhere…

1 Like

I remember the days of 1200 baud modems, so there!

@ one and a half pence per minute. Expensive days, I’d be bankrupt with todays usage.

800 baud portable terminals with acoustic couplers were the wonder of the age

1 Like

1200? Tha’ were lucky…

1 Like

Fancy 300 baud duplex? ITU V.21 standard used audio frequency-shift keying with two possible frequencies, corresponding to two distinct symbols (or one bit per symbol), to carry 300 bits per second using 300 baud.

Very fast operators can hand-key Morse code at 25 words (125 characters) per minute*. It says here that that’s about 20 baud. The world record for a Morse sender/receiver pair, including typing the message out on a manual typewriter, seems to be 32 words in 68 seconds which I reckon is 23 baud or so.

VB

*That’s with a traditional ‘straight’ key. If you use an electronic keyer you can go a lot quicker.

My grandfather was a wireless operator in the Signals during WW2 and I have a lot of his training books and notes, when he finished training he was the fastest morse operator in his group and went on to be Monty’s wireless op for a spell in North Africa.

From his training notes/books I think 20 wpm was the minimum pass rate for a wireless op in the Signals.

I’ve been looking into getting his army records as he did the whole of the North Africa campaign and then Italy where he was in the four battles of Monte Cassino and finished up in Austria.

He was 21 years old and 5’ 5" and I dread to think about the shit he must have seen, my Mum had no idea what he had done during the war as he wouldn’t talk about it. All she knows is that he was shot twice, in the leg and the arm.

Here he is in North Africa around 1943

17 Likes

Yep, most of the areas we’re considering have a max of 76mps :grimacing:

1 Like

The term University Challenge has taken on whole new meaning.

1 Like