The wam will be 20 in 3 year's time

My first bake off was at Jonjin’s. It’s there that I learned first hand of the traditional @J_B cartridge mutilation protocol.

2 Likes

I was on one of the other forums when Richard Dunn tried to run his hifi show concept. Was made aware of the Wam thread ripping him to pieces and immediately switched over. Solid start to proceedings I like to think.

5 Likes

Taunton?

1 Like

I’ve just received my 10 year Trophy. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah

My first bake off was at Jonjin’s in Taunton.
It was a 300b bake off.
I was impressed that there was a Wavac amp whose sole duty was to warm up the valves before being put into the ‘test system’
It was on Saturday 6th October 2007

The date is easily looked up as I slid off about 2.30 and went down the pub to watch England beat Australia in the RWC QF

3 Likes

What was the ‘test’ amp then? I thought we used the Wavac for that one.

(more troubling that it was 15 years ago!)

Didn’t JJ have a Canary amp?

Yes he did but it needed a quad of 300B so something else was needed.

@murrayjohnson is correct, the Wavac was used for the test, there was another amp used for warm up duties.

Not sure you were at that one Adam, but JJ certainly had more than one bake off.
I found the thread.

thinking about it I may have taken the Bewitch 300B amp I had for warm up duties

1 Like

I think I took the Karan KAI180 integrated along to that too.
Ran it with Pete’s Lowthers.

I didn’t join until 2006 as I tend to be fashionably late to such things. First bakeoff was at @PapaLazarou’s old gaff, followed by enormous peak Dinajpur in the evening.

My first bake-off was at Hawk’s place in Tring.
I remember MIB, Biscuit and Bommer attending.

Different Bake Off Phil, I travelled down to JJs with Pete and we didn’t take speakers, you didn’t have the Karan then either, you were in your old house with the WB Arcs at a bake off I went to a few months after the JJ one.

I didn’t join until 2008 iirc. I recall mentioning to bigdur that I wanted a new CD player in the pub, he told me about the wam. It went down hill from there.

17 Likes

I think Phil is talking about the JJ bake off that I went to, which was after the 300b one

1 Like

I joined in 2007, and my first bakeoff, was at “biscuits”, just down the road from me.
Memorable, when John, plugged his 120v amp into 240v.

1 Like

Indeed you went full potato, I seem to remember! Fortunately making guitars is much less obsessive :joy::joy:

LOL, some one tried a foo mains lead on my CD player without noticing that the existing mains lead was plugged into a transformer. There was a bit of smoke, but high-end JVC/Victor gear isn’t fragile!

2 Likes

First bake off I attended was my own, and also the first time anyone met AwkwardByDesign, who more than lived up to his name.

5 Likes