The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Better tonearm on the left as we look at it…

I quite enjoy the 3012 I picked up recently. There are many worse & more expensive arms out there.

1 Like

I see it has followed the “more” philosophy of bullshit design. If something is good enough, then more will make it gooderer. I do fucking wonder at some of these designs.

It’s still just yet another heavy, belt drive effort (albeit with an air bearing)

I’d rather spend a fraction of the money on a really good R2R and moar tapes!

1 Like

Yamaha PF-800 turntable. €1275 Audiomarkt

2 Likes

The only belt drive that didn’t feck up pitch I have heard was the most expensive Voyd, most others make me wince and want to throw them through the window. I have perfect pitch (tested) that is probably the reason.

Try a Transrotor Fat Bob, complete stability, like a good DD.

Or a Nottingham Dais

1 Like

The Nottingham Dias was not pitch stable, nor any others of his range that I heard.

One of these went on UK eBay last week for £300, I wanted it. Badly.

Agreed. The Spacedeck I had wasn’t as it had a piddly small motor.

Most of the big and costly German decks are stable. The worst I have owned for this are the Pink Triangle Tarentella or most Rega’s.

Dont you already have one?

Maybe you were wobbling?

1 Like

I think the whole concept of the feeble motor that can barely turn the platter is flawed, personally.

3 Likes

No. That’s why I want one!

Jerry brought one of those to a bake-off once. Distinctly Meh sounding as I recall. plenty of other vintage Japanese decks I’d prefer.

Don’t care. Still want one. It has double arm tubes after all…

1 Like

Yes to one of Frank’s
Nice looker

The arm was really flimsy. The least impressive part. You need a Thales or a Burne Jones where at least the twin tubes have a purpose.

I have this NEAT pro deck I am working on ATM, massive motor rim drive.

2 Likes