The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Nine grand :scream::scream::scream::scream::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
It don’t look like £9k of engineering to my eyes and ten years work in development. :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed: Really!
It would have been nice to get an answer to the question that was asked about why is everyone else using high mass designs and Rega are not. Rather than “ah well it’s all in the engineering” yes but doesn’t answer the question.
They could have picked a better salesman to make the video that’s for sure.

1 Like

Cos less is moar (profit) innit?

1 Like

Rega are certainly not very high on my list of profitering companies in HiFi

2 Likes

Rega’s position on this has been pretty consistent for as long as I’ve been alive. Their ideal is no mass at all outside of specific parts of the turntable and particularly the plinth. If science allowed them to maintain an absolute distance between the bearing and armbase by a forcefield with no mass at all, they’d do it. They argue (not without merit) that a lighter stiffer design isolated externally to the turntable itself (which is why they offer wall shelves) is a neater solution than either making something weigh enough to not be affected or self-isolate.

I will say that the Planar 10 which lived here for some years, was absurdly good. Of course the Vertere is better but the Vertere costs more than the Naia does. It’s also no harder to set up than a Planar 3 which engenders enormous loyalty and repeat purchase.

It is until you start deliberately making things light. The Naia has machined titanium arm parts and a bearing made of Zirconium. I doubt these are found in B&M.

8 Likes

So two platters is a less profitable approach than one? Hmm… :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Not sure, but at least you can see where your money has gone! :smiley:

1 Like

Into the perceived value? :grinning:

I definitely come from the school of thought that low mass is better. High mass is a brute force approach, while low mass designs rely on the design of the structure and materials to control vibration. Any idiot can cobble together a high mass design, a low mass TT otoh, takes far more skill. This is where the engineering money is spent.

I do think TT’s need an isolation system, especially low mass ones, but I’d just stick it on a minus-k platform. :grinning:

3 Likes

Not contradicting any points made, but both materials are commonplace in cheap Chinese-sourced watches nowadays. Good materials, but not really premium any more.

Low mass is one thing, but I wonder to what extent reduced surface-area is also beneficial with these skeletal designs? If you consider a turntable as effectively a microphone picking-up and reproducing sound present in the room (and they really do - I have an old C90 tape taken from my 1980s record collection with my mum’s dachshund audibly yapping in the background… :open_mouth:), then reducing surface area starts to look useful in reducing the feedback loop…

2 Likes

I’d like to hear it. The guy in the vid is endearingly shit at selling the thing which makes me think that the money available has gone to the right part of the production.

8 Likes

That bloke is the CEO of Rega.

4 Likes

Perfect, there is hope for me yet. :grin:

7 Likes

I stopped watching as soon as I heard a man with an English (Essex?) accent say ‘alooominum’

1 Like

Which was actually the original British pronunciation.

1 Like

Really?
I have never heard that before, it certainly hasn’t been in my lifetime, nor his I would imagine.

I looked it up :grinning:

But the man who discovered and named the element couldn’t decide himself what “correct” was. Sir Humphry Davy, who discovered the element in 1807, first named the metal alumium, which was quickly changed to aluminum. He finally settled on aluminium – some five years later.

1 Like

Think I’d stick my 10 grand on an sp10r over the rega

5 Likes

Vintage piece of cottage industry, not sure how old it is but must be over 30 years.
Just got this yesterday, Avondale Audio Genesis turntable.

9 Likes

4 Likes

The inner platter seems quite basic but the bearing is good quality.

The top has three points to grip the platter which I think is Delrin but not sure.

It’s a Mk2 Avondale Genesis. Mk2 as it has a separate shelf which the motors are mounted to where the Mk1 (I have both versions) had the motors attached to the top plate directly.

No idea what the pink paint is about.

Mine replaced an LP12 back in the day and is still in service with quite a few mods

5 Likes