The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Thought it was a voyd at first glance

2 Likes

Threadlock to keep suspension setting for a given arm?

1 Like

Quite possibly, in this case the mission mechanic which has unfortunately had to be removed,needs attention.

Les W from Avondale was involved in the design of Voyd Turntables. I think I’m right in saying he had the two motor idea. Voyd were using some Papst motors which apparently run very fast so you need a small pully and there are some downsides to this

2 Likes

The Papst motors were the same ones that Michell used for the original Gyrodek. They do give out less radiated electromagnetic field than the more common synchronous type that Impex (Premotec) or Sodeco were making.

2 Likes

The pulleys on the voyd.5 are even thinner.

The pulleys on the genesis are much larger, using the Sodeco motor’s, it must be something that Les looked at very carefully I should imagine.

I quite like the variable torque control, not that you need to do much with it .

The Sodeco motor’s need additional screening to prevent hum pick up, I think you mentioned it to me Guy?

Motors like the Premotec & Sodeco would rotate at 250 rpm from a 50Hz supply. That speed dictates the pulley to hub ratio if you want 33.33 rpm at the platter. The Papst motors would naturally run at 1500 rpm from 50 Hz so the Voyd psu generated a 25 Hz waveform and ran the motors at 750 rpm with pulleys around 1/3 the size of those needed for the Premotec type motor.

2 Likes

14 Likes

Genesis PSU.

1 Like

The path of the arm runs close to one of the motors (6 o’clock) and benefits from shielding.

2021-04-11_10-18-31

I tried some mumetal type stuff which was hard to fit and eventually settled on a Sound deadened steel matt.

The plater is Lexan so relatively light and the suspension did not seem too upset by the added weight.

2 Likes

2021-04-11_09-57-16

2 Likes

Don’t seem to be able to post any more pictures

Hi @Paddy it’s a board software thing to stop spam attacks from newly registered users. I’ll increase your trust level so you can continue.

5 Likes

Thanks for the vote of confidence browellm, promise not to add too many more

2021-02-05_09-05-35

6 Likes

Very nice bearing quality, very tight fit.

1 Like

The Kuzma arm suits the deck quite nicely.

Avondale Audio did produce a power supply unit called the “Twin Analog Power Supply” (TAPS), which was specifically designed to power high-end turntables. The TAPS power supply was highly regarded for its ability to provide clean and stable power to turntables, resulting in improved sound quality and lower noise levels. It looks like the TAPS power supply was available in different models and configurations to suit various turntable setups.

TAPS internals

This one lacks the adjustment control on the back. I don’t recall what this adjustment is doing in terms of the output, but believe it will be around minimising any motor vibration

2 Likes

Different to the one I have, does remind me a bit of Doug Dunlop of Concordant Audio, he was constantly tinkering the spec of his pre amps.
Les was good friends with Doug,he built one his amps, called the Exemplar, a SS 100w power amplifier.

I used to like Doug. Nice sense of humour & made chain-smoking into an artform.

1 Like