The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

He was doing a dem at the chesterfield show a long time ago now, apparently using a Sony Walkman going into one of his pre amps.

It was going well then the battery started running out, didn’t phase Doug! He just let it warble away.

Must have been hilarious, wish I’d seen it.

The Genesis is up and running and it sounds pretty good with an old modded RB250 and AT33EV.

21 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Looks great, nice to see it up and running.

Now for some heresy

2020-05-01_09-05-33

The lump covered in snake tape and cable tie attached to the suspension is a bit of mild steel which counterbalances the weight of the arm to balance it better. In place it allowed me to get the top of the armboard level with the plinth when setting up the suspension.

6 Likes

Is the Kuzma quite a heavy arm Chris?
Edit 870g so yes pretty heavy.

That’s right it is Chris but. the reason for the cable tie is that there was another weight already attached to the suspension which was there when i got the deck new from Les. The added weight was 870g - the weight of the Rega arm, which was on the deck from new. It takes some of the weight off of the spring nearest to the arm, which is otherwise under more compression was my thinking and Les’s given the weight he’d already added. My guess is yours predated mine slightly.

1 Like

I’m liking the modded RB250, a friend came round this morning to have a listen and he has a Voyd Helius Orion and was more than impressed.

What a load of pretentious shite. The following paragraph sums it up, actually:

“…Most turntables are rectangular boxes, mostly because that’s the most convenient shape for cramming electronics, especially the big parts from decades past. These take up unnecessary space and limit the ways you can place the machine on display…”

So motors, belts, power supply, etc take up unnecessary space?

I don’t want to display my fucking TT. I want to play records on the fucker!

CUNTS!

4 Likes
1 Like

How would you break the stylus on that? :thinking:

1 Like

Where there’s a will…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Quick update on my Genesis project.

The original clamp went missing unfortunately?

But Pete (Coco) has kindly offered to help me out with an experiment design of a 3d printed clamp, this is just the prototype, I just trying it out at the moment.
And so far I’m gobsmacked at how well it’s working.
The clamp is in two parts with a moveable insert with a locking nut and clamps the arm really well, feels very solid.

And it’s been sounding great for the last hour and a half listening to a few records.

15 Likes

Hana SL is now on and sounding very good.

9 Likes

I’m sure that, if you’d put a bit of effort in, you could have found some longer bolts…

6 Likes

Vaguely connected: I always thought your tagline should have been “Knurls before swine”.

1 Like

I did try! Honest :grin:.
Thought nobody would notice to be sure :joy:

Fool

Vta is off

2 Likes

Well it sounds pretty good but the arm is coming off again and again next few days, the finished clamp will be black.

1 Like

“That joke isn’t funny anymore.”

6 Likes