The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

It looks like a Hanns T-30 but much, much nicer.

I’d prefer it with a flat belt but they seem to have got a lot right (for this kind of deck)

Not sure motors quality but a floating solid chassis and platter don’t come cheap

Did you get to hear it.I have come across these before on a diy site and always wondered if they were any good.they do look a lot like the Hanns.

No, they just had the component parts on their static display. They looked extremely well made.

Looks like they have gone for three round ones; would it be easier to make round ones less stretchy?

Simple, plain functional looks, function over form, always winning :+1:

That is a nice price for a really nice Deck.

1 Like

If you buy one, get a spare set of belts and a spare blank armboard is my advice.

Actually a really good quality ground flat belt is quite tricky to get made. More expensive than O rings.

I do wonder how good the motor & its controller are & if they are from the factory that makes the Hanns ones.

I have enough turntables that play records satisfactorily. I don’t need any more (unless I come across a Melco or Micro Seiki in an abandoned Devon barn)

But given the prices being asked for some of the latest offerings, this approach looks almost reasonable.

2 Likes

Could you use string or silicon Guy?

Some of the very heavy decks have also been usable with thread or indeed tape. The compliance of a belt can mitigate, to some degree, the inherent lumpiness in most motors’ pull and obviously a thread will absorb less of that. I suspect that at 5Kg this platter isn’t quite heavy enough to operate on the ‘minimal top up’ principle that a free running 30 Kg platter could get away with & therefore thread drive might not be optimal.

The viscosity of lubrication in the bearing can also have a pronounced effect on how much of the motor’s signature gets overlaid on the platters rotation.

As a separate topic, I was looking at the HiFi World review of the new SP10R & wondering why, given the generally superlative measurements, they are preferring the sound of it when run at the lowest torque setting for the motor. Presumably some of that vice like electronic control becomes more audible as you turn the wick up. Sadly they didn’t (or couldn’t) or didn’t want to investigate what was causing the sound to deteriorate. A shame, it would’ve been instructive.

2 Likes

Talking about belt drive Guy I noticed the belts on my turntable are very short as are the Thales (belt), is there any real advantage with this method? My deck also has 2 motors.

TBH I just presumed that one of them though/ imagined that they heard some effect from the different torque settings, and the others, afraid they didn’t want to admit that their ears weren’t golden enough to hear it, nodded quietly in agreement.

Isn’t that how these things usually happen? I’d be more inclined to believe it when the Stereophile measurements guy can demonstrate it.

They have to add some subjective fluff to the review or it would be a paragraph long.
I suspect it was just a bit of colour and not explained as it wasn’t exactly significant or even there.
Once it’s moving it’s irrelevant?

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were audible when working harder/more. I think better motor control is one of the main areas where the new 1200 models & the SP10R (based on hearing it a couple of times) have moved on quite a bit from the old versions. They just sound much smoother in how they play tone.

I think one of the audible issues with the old 1200 & to a lesser degree the SP10 Mk2 is the sound of that control electronics. With the SP10 you can ameliorate it by choosing the arm & cartridge carefully. For example, I don’t think the modern SME arms are a great match.

2 Likes

Brand new. Audiomarkt.
StSt Motus DQ direct drive turntable. With Jelco arm and Ortofon Black Cart.
€2495.00

1 Like

I don’t like it much. It reminds me of the WB Circle tutntable. I bet it sounds good though. It is certainly a huge improvement on some of the recent postings on this thread in terms of the fugly quotient.

Is there a miniature Elton John sitting behind the platter?

9 Likes

The real one isn’t that big. A miniature one would be teeny tiny

1 Like

That is the pared back to the minimum non suspended item. Same motor, platter power supply etc. Decent deal given arm & cartridge.