The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Is there a more over engineered arm than this?

I used to make that sort of shit from Mecanno

2 Likes

3 Likes

we can rebuild him

1 Like

Today I stood outside a shop window, nose to nose with a Pioneer Exclusive P3A (bloody shop was shut)

I think I want one.

2 Likes

You and me both!

How much?

I am not sure it’s mostly hype or they really are good, only one way to find out. For the money I think I would prefer something else like a Brinkman.

No price on it. Or anything I could see for that matter! Not on the shop’s website either - it may not even have been for sale.

To be honest, it would have to be something special if it really is even better than the TX-1000 and PS-X9.

1 Like

That sounds like a great shop.

Not open. No prices. Not even clear whether an item is for sale.

It’s a wonder that the hi-fi industry isn’t in a really parlous state.

People always want what they can’t have (Scumbag bible pg 1)

2 Likes

Uhh, nope. If you show that much disdain for me, you’re definitely not getting my money.

Maybe I’m an oddity (yes, yes, I know), but the near total eradication of the hi-fi shop in the UK would suggest that maybe having such a fucking huge chip on your* shoulder didn’t work out to be such a wizard business plan after all.

edit: * not you personally - that could be interpreted differently to how I meant it

I would say unless you are a hairdresser or a coffee shop (things you can’t get on the net) the idea of a physical shop these days is now, for the most part redundant.
I find this sad but it is reality the internet killed the hifi shop not bad marketing or service

Probably owned by a meatman.

It’s probably just my personal experience.

Other places that sell aspirational, discretionary stuff (cars, watches, suits) are polite and really, really want to persuade you to hand over the money for their high quality products.

Many (but not all) hi fi places I’ve been in have been populated by rude oddballs who clearly don’t want customers, and view them allowing you to give them money as some kind of favour.

I’ve literally walked into a shop with £7k burning a hole in my pocket to buy a particular pair of speakers, and the spotty twat there physically wouldn’t let me near them. No sale, then. I bought somewhere else.

I think those that have survived until now don’t have this problem, and that’s why they’ve survived.

I don’t know why (although looking at this place might give you a clue :smile:), this problem seemed peculiar to hi fi.

Hifi attracts rude odd balls, I find that hard to believe :smile:

1 Like

Completely agree, I stopped buying only from dealers years ago as they were arrogant cunts and nothing has changed.

A lot if HiFi businesses are run by people who are technically very proficient, they know their stuff.
Unfortunately often that is all they know, they don’t get what motivates people beyond the technicalities of HiFi.
I remember Serge saying that he used to have a HiFI business and didn’t understand why people wouldn’t buy a piece of kit purely based on the measurements.
Then you get those who want to argue with you over your choices, the best salesman never belittle other brands or sneer at your current system.

2 Likes

By this token you must also be allergic to ever buying a new house / car / windows / insurance / holiday / legal services - This list could get quite long, best to stay at home with no telephone or TV services or electricity as providers of these services may also offend you.

1 Like

What a stupid comment.:roll_eyes:

Make a stupid statement get a stupid response

2 Likes