This can't be good

Oops. :flushed: I’m getting forgetful or is it a glitch in my matrix?

1 Like

Cheeky feckers, perhaps a first for Trump and he’s right about Huawei. :astonished:

The problem, I fear, is that the first world has reached a living standard (travel, meat/dairy consumption, education, consumer goods, entertainment, healthcare) that, given current technologies, can’t be extended to everyone in the third world without cooking the planet. I don’t know enough about the technical details to know how long it’s going to be before we can deliver all that stuff sustainably. But I fear we haven’t got enough time to invent what’s needed before the climate goes over the edge. The rest of the world isn’t going to settle in the very near future for being second-best (would you ?). So either we’re all just going to run, like lemmings (some of us like lemmings with guns, to be fair) towards the cliff or those of us who are at the top of the heap are going to have to cut back on the good stuff. I agree that would be ‘a change in the human mindset’. But I still think that cutting out pizza (cheese needs cows) would require me to ‘accept a reduction in living standards’.

VB

Expect the vegan cheese nazis to call around and mulch a bit of sense into you later on.

That’s the problem, we view it as a lifestyle change, it isn’t about giving things up for the sake of what’s left, we are never going to make any change looking for green alternatives. It requires a fundamental change in how the human brain is trained.

It’s clear that vegan cheese avoids the issue of keeping cows in captivity, breeding and treating them to maximise their yield (perhaps beyond what is good for them) and separating them from their calves so we get their milk rather than their offspring getting it.

But I really don’t know whether vegan cheese is better for the environment. There’s a good deal of processing involved in making it Vegan cheese - Wikipedia and some types at least seem to start out with nuts which could be displacing other, more environmentally friendly, crops.

VB

Plus, every single Vegan cheese that I have tasted (and I’ve tried most of them) tastes Class A shit.

Abysmal stuff !

1 Like

About 30 years in the late 80s I helped a guy over a summer with his carpentry business. I was late 20s or early 30s and he about was the age I am now. He was far from a hippy green type person. One day were talking about stuff in general and he said that a few decades down the road the shit would the fan when developing countries started wanting what we had already; cars, fridges, foriegn holidays and so on.

I think he was as close to being right as possible.

2 Likes

There isn’t a way to produce enough stuff for everyone who wants it - be that Beef, Cheese, iPhones, Air conditioning, anything. And as soon as you add in profit as a motive, any real sustainability goes out of the window because so few people can/will pay the premium. Humans have been too successful, we’ve overgrown our environment - at the moment in patches, but that hasn’t really made much difference. We need to spread out (to another planet) or reduce our numbers.

We are sitting here, typing this on computers or phones that use precious metals and massive amounts of energy to make, on a website hosted on more computers full of more precious metals and gulping power for themselves and to stay cool, the data is transmitted through yet more computers doing more of the same. And there are literally billions of people doing exactly the same, 24 hours a day…

Yeah, but, the Beautiful Things I Want thread reasons.

1 Like

2 Likes

What could possibly go wrong…

1 Like

Good to see they are building ships with a proper crows nest again.
Should be able to see them gunships from up there :grinning:

I think even penance might baulk at sitting up there, swarfega or not

Worth taking a cup of tea & looking at this.

1 Like

Bleak :frowning_face:

Trump: ‘Fake news, it’s all fine, keep buying stuff :+1:

Sponsored by Cargill, no doubt some drought resistant GMO will sort it out.

1 Like

One hundereeeed secooooondss to miiiiiiidniiiight

2 Likes

Cucumber pickers in N95 masks, Oregon