Tidal

Meh, doesn’t seem to. Will investigate further.

You can, for me apart from the obvious this is a reason I continue to subscribe. So much better than a car full of cds

Is that on mobile or via the desktop app?

Works on both

Is Tidal still twice the price of Spotify?

The FLAC version is. They do a high bit-rate mp3 version that’s the same price.

Frankly, the reason to get it is the lossless streaming or the Roon integration. Everything I’ve read suggests Spotify’s app functionality/playlist curation is better.

3 Likes

This

1 Like

Ok, what annoys me about these streaming services is the lack of classical metadata. I fancied listening to Puccini’s Suor Angelica; this is part of what a search shows:

The thing is, there’s only about three recordings there - most of what is shown are reissues, which are exactly the same, although this isn’t obvious.

Does Roon overcome this? What does a search of “Suor Angelica” show on Roon?

It’s an improvement, but it’s not perfect. Their review metadata comes from Allmusic/Rovi.

Ah, I’ve never seen the point of Roon, so I think I’ll stick with Spotify. It seems pointless to me to spend any more money on streaming when it will never sound as good as an LP or a CD.

1 Like

Doing your username proud with that one.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Hey James, why don’t you come on here once in a blue moon and start a fight…:laughing:

7 Likes

Why? Streaming is not for serious listening. It’s for finding new music surely?

2 Likes

Eh?

Perhaps this should be a new thread, but genuinely, I see these threads and read them and wonder what i am missing. People seem heavily invested in streaming systems. All sorts of fees and complexities added to a form of listening that always feels ad-hoc to me. It’s a nice to have, rather than a primary listening device.

If I sound dismissive, it’s my failure at hiding incredulity. I always hope someone will post something that convinces me all the effort and expense might be worth it.

Using the lossless service, it’s no different to using Sonos at home with your ripped CDs. That’s it, really.

4 Likes

Don’t take the bait guys.:roll_eyes:

Fair enough.

Paul, nice to speak to you again too. :frowning:

Always a pleasure.:upside_down_face:

I think the majority of AA members would have sympathy with the view that neither streaming nor CD sounds as good/is a satisfying as an LP.

Whether CD itself sounds better than streaming depends on what you mean by streaming. A good FLAC rip played via a streamer and a decent DAC will be just as good if not better than the CD. A hi-res file will be better than CD in my experience. A lossless stream from the likes of TIDAL should be no different from CD but often isn’t. The jury appears to be firmly out on MQA though.

What causes me to pay for TIDAL is convenience; I have decent service to my phone and red book quality to the office and home. I’ve yet to try Roon, but that is probably just a matter of laziness on my part.

Oh, and welcome back shortarse :crazy_face:. We could do with some superior trolling around here. :+1:

1 Like