Today I have mainly been V2.0

A couple of pics from Rye Bonfire last night:

I went with my lad, his friend and a bunch of local mates. It’s a brilliant night out. It has a slightly lawless edge to it that I find very appealing. The tight ancient streets are packed with people, watching a bunch of well lubricated pyromaniacs with drums, torches and shit, it’s an intoxicating experience. The firework display is spectacular but the main draw for me is the procession to the fire and the fire itself, which last night was whipped up by gusts of wind to around forty miles an hour. The mentalists stand around dressed like pirates throwing bird scarers at each other. The relentless heavy rain lent the evening an even more epic quality.

I am looking forward to Alex growing up a bit so we can go in The Bedford Arms afterwards. Most of the nutters pack in there with their drums and bangers and create mayhem.
We got home late, soaked and covered in mud but really exhilarated. :grinning:

9 Likes

Is that the one across from the station?

No, its down near the cricket ground on Fishmarket Rd, it always looks like a complete dive to me and very ‘local.’

I had lunch and a few pints in the one near the station a few years back on the way back from an ATP Festival at Camber Sands. It was lovely and quiet until a few local nutters came in, caused a load of aggro and then just left about five minutes later. I had a mahoooosive hangover and so went unnoticed in a corner as I drank my medicine. The landlord didn’t seem that bothered by any of it.

1 Like

Bumping into my ex-wife and getting a problem from one of my kids dumped on me. And she wonders why I tend to avoid her.

That looks and sounds epic, I’m there next year :+1:

1 Like

Ouch :confounded:

My missus went with the older two grandkids. She’s involved in the Hastings Bonfire Society and they go to a load of local ish ones. Hastings have very bright, red and yellow stripey jumpers so you may have seen them.

Robertsbridge this Saturday, which I don’t think is that far from you.

So sorry Guy, tough times.

Lie in.
Cooked breakfast.
Fixed broken kitchen drawer.
Topped up cars washer fluid.

1 Like

Living the dream :+1:

3 Likes

You must be exhausted :woozy_face:

1 Like

God knows what his secret is. A lie in plus cooked breakfast?! How the fekk does one manage that?

1 Like

It sounds like just another day in paradise to me. :palm_tree:

2 Likes

Sunday roast for a friend who I am hoping can throw me a load of cheffing work. Went well I think. Massively overcatered.

It isn’t, and is supposed to be utterly mental! I quite fancy it. :+1:

1 Like

My Mrs has a lot of family in Robertsbridge - they have a farm in Popping Hole Lane (hard to forget that road name!)

1 Like

Nice village. Very quiet though, nothing there to speak of. House prices are a bit spendy too.

So what’s happening that’s utterly mental next week? :thinking:

The Robertsbridge firework procession. Many of the local towns and villages down here have a Bonfire Society. At this time of year, near 5th November they have a procession through the town, fireworks and a Bonfire. The Bonfire Societies all go to each other’s. Hastings was a few weeks ago, then Battle the week after. Rye was Saturday just gone and Robertsbridge is this Saturday. Lewes has had theirs as has Eastbourne I think. I think there are a dozen or so. Some dates have to double up.

1 Like