Today I have mainly been V4.0 (Part 1)

I think, if cities are defined by having a cathedral, St David’s is certainly smaller (& probably Ely?)
I do like Wells though, the cathedral is well worth a look inside but the town is also nice. Found a couple of good record/antique places there last time.

EDIT. Was surprised to learn that the City of London is the smallest city in England, then Wells.
2 in Wales have smaller populations.

Yes, I did mention the city of London to my brother.
Might go back for a rebate, cheeky buggers.

Nope, royal charter hence why Chelmsford wasn’t until 2012 despite having a cathedral.

I recall our Geography teacher setting us an essay back in about 1978 titled ‘What is a city?’. Anyone putting, ‘Somewhere with a cathedral’ would’ve got nul points. It was actually quite complicated to evolve a definition that could still be applicable in a variety of countries around the world.

And Carlisle is the largest :+1:

Brighton and Hove is a city, the two towns got combined and promoted during the millenial shenanigans.
no catherdral but more churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, meeting halls etc than you can shake a stick at

Nice view of StP and KingsX, but unbearably hot with no shade, so only stayed from the freebie cocktail

2 Likes

Is the best cocktail

1 Like

Thats a brilliant view. Was considering doing a couple of nights staycation at the Renaissance in one of the rooms in the main/original hotel. However might mix it up with The Standard based on that view. Daft thing is I am only 15 mins away by Cab and 30 on the Bus.

One for next year though.

1 Like

The Standard is great, we love their rooms - and really top notch service without being instrusive

Thats good to know and I assumed as much as I think this is the second stay you have posted about.

bit underwhelming. If you want old school style and want to splash some cash, try the Langham

Ah thats a shame, it more because it was the favourite building of a late friend of ours.

we found it all very corporate Renaissance less so in the old wing, but still very Renaissance, YMMV of course.

The new wing certainly looks corporate hence old wing preference but thats pricey so off season stay. Of course who knows when the next off season will be.

1 Like

Watching a fox bury a sausage in my window box.

10 Likes

:rofl: only you :rofl:

F’narr

4 Likes

:joy:

Did it have a shoe on?

4 Likes